Archinect
anchor

What is the name + abbreviation for the phase Before SD?

Im talking about the phase before SD.

In my firm it is often called the Inital Concept Proposal, Initial Design Proposal or something similar with more or less the same meaning. For this firm its the phase where we create a few different concepts for programming the project and defining an overall design concept.  It usually begins with the typical 3 options and with some luck will end with a initial design proposal for the client to sign off on and begin schematic development. 

There seem to be a few different names.  I am curious if over the past 6th months of working in this office I have somehow overlooked a clean and universally understood abbreviation for this phase of work? 

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide!

-- To put some context to this; I work primarily on retail/ hospitality/ commercial projectsat a large international firm, working on internatinoal projects in developing countries -- if I made that sound exciting at all, I appologize, it is definatly not glamorous work. --

Jun 26, 11 2:30 am
LOOP!

I think Concept Design is the most common in the states. Here in Australia I hear Feasibility or "Feaso" for short.

Also, Schematic Design is often called "Sketch Design"

Jun 26, 11 2:46 am  · 
 · 

we just call it "pre-design", which can cover quite a few things including programming and concept design.

Jun 26, 11 8:07 am  · 
 · 

What Gregory said.  Pre-Design/Programming: when you're still figuring out contraints.  SD starts as soon as you start sketching anything resembling a building: creating something new.

Jun 26, 11 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: