Archinect
anchor

Stay or go

mad+dash

I am debating on working or interning outside the United States since I have never lived anywhere else...or moving to San Francisco.
If I decided against San Francisco, what would I need to intern or work outside the country in terms of papers or documents?
I don't know where to begin this inquiry since I don't know anyone who has done it.

Thanks.

Dec 6, 04 10:57 am
spiderdad

hey, jdesp - go!

try http://www.ciee.org/participant.aspx ... you might qualify for one or their programs ... and that can help sort out a visa, etc...

it's all possible... you just have to find a way...

just decide on a region/country you would like to work in... and then just go for it... research the areas, the industry, culture, whatever...
getting a job might require visiting the country for interviews, but it's possible to line something up beforehand...

a good start would be the uk, holland, etc.. where you language issues arent there...

be prepared to be a bit flexible in terms of pay, living costs (have some savings ready for rainy days)...
it may seem duanting but it'll totally be worthwhile, go for it. you wont regret it.

Dec 6, 04 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

also, i think there have been other topics on these issues... try searching the discussion board...

Dec 6, 04 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

If you don't go SF, is a good half measure. It's not really America America.

Dec 6, 04 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

i just made the move from the midwest to sf. after graduation, i put my final touches on a website portfolio, searched craigslist, and all other relevant sources, and made the move. i also applied to places in the netherlands, which one offered a job. but like the post above, be prepared to have money saved, cause the job offered something like 1000 euros a month, with no expenses paid...
too many of us stay in the home town, or where we went to college. i think architecture is the perfect opportunity to just drop everything and go... especially while you are young.

Dec 7, 04 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

meyer's right... firms in the netherlands will pay you peanuts... however, the living costs there are much lower, and you'll have a great time living there...

i know people who have spent a few months interning at firms there, they may have been paid nothing but they had a great time... they learnt a lot... it seemed it was more like being at college...

Dec 7, 04 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

Thanks meversusyou and spiderdad.
How much should I have saved up for an out of country move?
SF is my other choice because I can momentarily live with my parents(who live an hour away) to save money. I finish undergrad in a few weeks and move right back to California.

Dec 8, 04 7:50 am  · 
 · 
celikmetre

i'm not a fan of guide books, however there is a new book just about this topic:

PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: An Architecture Student's Guide to Internship and the Year Out.
Marjanovic, Igor et al.

i only had a chance to read small portions of it so, i cannot recommend it from top of my head, but you might give it a try. it includes case studies from different countries, narrarated by people who worked there. what you should expect, what not to expect is included in the case study section.

Dec 8, 04 9:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: