Archinect
anchor

Getting a building permit in Pittsburgh?

LameArc

I've got a friend who have asked me to design a small house for him in the city of Pittsburgh. I've never worked with the city of Pittsburgh before, and was wondering what scope of work requires the stamp of a licensed architect. I know a lot of cities state that anything 2 stories or less, does not require a stamp on the architectural drawings.

I currently work in LA and am not yet licensed, but have a few years experience in the custom housing field. I've got a call in to the BBI (Bureau of Building Inspection), but the time difference makes it difficult to get in touch with them. Just hoping to get an answer from the Archinect community before hearing from the City,

Jun 23, 11 6:17 pm
drums please, Fab?

have you checked their building department website?

Jun 23, 11 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
LameArc

yeah, just a standard comment about some drawings MAY require the stamp of a registered architect.

Jun 23, 11 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
amoss

As a Pittsburgh architect myself I should have a definite answer for you, however I always stamp my drawings. I do know that, for a house, the City requires a set of drawings that include: site plan (zoning), floor plans, exterior elevations, and at least one typical wall section. They also now require Res-Check including the IECC energy certificate and a certification of the installed building insulation.

I "think" that maybe they only require a stamp on the structural foundation which can be provided by the architect or structural engineer. But you should confirm that with BBI. Next time I am speaking with someone at BBI I will ask.

Be sure to check Zoning regulations before you get too far with the design. Zoning must sign off before you can obtain a permit from BBI.

~Andrew

Jun 24, 11 8:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: