Archinect
anchor

US economic meltdown?

manamana

I think I'll be buying in late aug. things always drop in the summer, it just seems to be happening later this year. I'm optimistic that things will bounce around for a few weeks and then bottom out in mid-late august. I'm in a couple different stem cell / biotech stocks...and they're way cheap compared to a few months ago, and getting cheaper by the minute. it'll either be some very good deals or just throwing money away.

Ugh. I knew I should have taken an econ class or two.

Jul 27, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Stop investing in other people and invest in yourself.

Unless of course you are American, in which case the Chinese own you already. You are officially only renting your own body. Be prepared to give it up at the end of the annual lease. You are property of the Peoples' Republic of China. You have spent your remaining Christmasses, thanksgivings and college fees already on imported manufactured product and gasoline. Bend over and prepare for Sino-penetration. You are their dog. They eat dog.

Jul 27, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

america shits on the brits

and china

and we don't need to wipe

Jul 27, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 

woo! and the metaphors are flying!

Jul 27, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
rfuller
but mutual funds is going down too

Aspect, I like to buy on the way down. I don't like to miss the bottom. I really started throwing money at my Agressive Growth Stocks today since the foreign markets are seeing a downturn and half of my equities are from foreign markets.

manamana, econ classes are more about how people allocate resources with alternative uses and supply and demand. You can't really predict any trends with econ. It just helps explain the behavior and teaches you to think about the consequences of the consequences if that makes sense. If you want to know more about the markets, go pick up a book by Jim Cramer. I know lots of people are going to cringe when they read that, but at least his books are relevent, interesting, and somewhat exciting.

Jul 27, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I'm highly suspicious of Cramer. I have a relative or two that are fairly devout, and I'm pretty well convinced that his audience basically allows him to manipulate markets. In alot of cases I've noticed that the stocks he picks become alot more volitile after his recomendation.

Case in point: I own some Nvidia stock. Bought it about 8 months ago, figuring that after the AMD-ATI merger, intel and nvidia would have to at least develop closer ties and that there'd be basically no downside to that for Nvidia.

it went up alot, went down alot, and went back up again. Then cramer recomends it and in two days it goes up nearly 10%. it stayed up there for a while and then came back to previous levels before going back down, but now it bounces +/- 5% on a near daily basis.

In another case (eddie bauer I think) the stock went up alot on his recomendation, then tanked when dozens of reports came out calling the stock way overvalued.

It seems that the hype just leads to a lot of reactionary moves, from individuals as well as analysts.

(but that's just my uneducated opinion)

I've been reading and investing for long enough that I think I sorta know what I'm doing, but at times it dawns on me just how much of all this boils down to guesswork - that's where my comment came from.

Jul 27, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"So how do we fix it of that's true?"

yeah, architects can fix economic problems....

Jul 27, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

just buy a couple hundred lotto tickets and youll be set.

Jul 27, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Our economy is so fucking bad people die in the wheel wells of airplanes getting here, or raft the open ocean or sleep in the desert.

Jul 27, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Well, I wasn't saying you should follow his stock advice to a T (although I made a smooth G with RIM and ROSE thanks to him). I was just saying that his books, especially his autobiography, really help explain what's going on in the markets, and why. Besides that, they're entertaining.

Jul 27, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

i'm exchanging all my USDs into wampum. it's long term durability and well-known stability make it a wiser investment than gold.

Jul 27, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

evil, of course our economy is better than that of the countries from which people hiding in wheel wells come... but they aren't our economic competition worldwide. not that there's anything wrong with any of these countries, but of course the dollar still looks great compared to mexico or bolivia, but compared to other modernized service economy countries (uk, canada, european nations) we're going downhill fast. pretending that our economy is robust while median incomes decrease (especially compared to inflation) and our national debt skyrockets is foolish and will inevitbaly lead to a US economic meltdown. being in debt to trading partners and occasional political adversaries (china) is also incredibly foolish.

Jul 27, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

OK. The Dow is, despite the sell-off of the last few days, still near historical highs and people are saying the sky is falling? My opinion is -- relax... remember, the more our craven thug of a president keeps the dollar low relative to Euro and other world currencies, the more theoretically "competitive" American industry is, which, again in theory, translates into earnings growth potential, which in turn translates into good market performance for their shares, as well as jobs growth and other good things.

I do think it's always a good idea to keep a diverse portfolio of shares, and that includes investing a portion in foreign shares, but in my opinion there are absolutely NO real signs that some type of great US melt down is around the corner.

This all being said, please don't blame me if you wind up poor :)

Jul 27, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I agree Urbanist. No meltdown in sight. Real estate and housing cool down? Probably. But no economic meltdown.

Jul 27, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
knock

as long as the chinese don't strongarm my swiss bank account, I'm sitting pretty, suckas.

Jul 27, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

smells like someone's preying on your fear & trust....stock market manipulation, anybody?

Jul 27, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

buy buy buy....just let me buy mine first

Jul 27, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Jul 28, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: