Archinect
anchor

Flying business class

ridge

It is pretty much standard and for some even mandatory to book your hired professionals (lawyer, accountant, personal fitness instructor) into business class if business is taken place elsewhere. It wouldn't surprise me that clients bump their architects into economy class, what it think is an outrageous. Has anyone rejected the offer to fly economy class?

Nov 22, 04 6:48 am

You're going to reject a client's offer of a plane ticket? Maybe it's just me, but seems like bad form. Especially since I'd never book myself in business class....

Nov 22, 04 7:55 am  · 
 · 
J3

It may vary with firm size, but it is our corp. policy (and included in our contracts) that any project requiring travel (air), employees travel in business class (with one exception) Exception: short haul flights are usually on small "one class" planes, so their is no option.
If the project is located on/near the NE corridor, travel is usually done via Amtrak's "Accela" trains.
The reality is that even if we were booked on "economy" it would have to be booked as a "full fare" ticket which allows changes. When this is done, anyone who holds "Elite" status automatically receives an upgrade to the next class of service (if available...which usually is)

Nov 22, 04 8:05 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i'm flying anywhere on someone else's money...i want
the comfy leather chairs with the personal screen with
free drinks or at least a seat where the stewardess leaves
the coke can without asking...and i wouldn't mind a steak
in the air or..some strawberry and champagne...

or just the elitism i could feel to be on the other side of the
curtain...being shut out from the 'common people' instead
of being reminded i am the 'common people'

Nov 22, 04 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

i don't think you need to fly business class on the client's money. i have done a lot of business travel on the client's behalf while working for a variety of different firms in a variety of different industries. they have never put any of us in business class nor have i ever expected it. i don't know why you think it is standard protcol.

Nov 22, 04 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

r u tom and has w bumped you off of air force 3 or 4 or whatever number you're on?

if you're looking for ammo with w on you're flying arrangements, I would suggest checking with the trial lawyers.

Nov 22, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

does tom ridge fly anymore?

i'm guessing with all the colors he's been seeing that he's
on army motor home 1

Nov 22, 04 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and e-

i don't really expect it..i'd just really like it personally.
i'm 6'-1" and there's really no comfortable seat on an
airplane even for me..but even moreso in the last couple
of years...i invariable sit with my knees in someone else's
back...and that's sitting up straight.

Nov 22, 04 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
ridge

If a client puts all his hired personal or in-home staff on economy class based on company policy, it wouldn’t be a problem. The reality is that client make distinction between their hired personal. Every profession whether it is a hired lawyer to a personal fitness instructor demands have their hourly fee and in most cases business class is a part of that. We had wealthy clients at the office that have lawyers, accountants, pet care takers flying in from all over the country on business class and yet they have the guts to put us on economy class. But hey… who’s to blame them. If they had architects in the pass that acted like crack heads, it is not surprising they do business with us like they would do in a pawnshop. So it is not a matter of wanting to life the elite life, it is a matter of showing the client that your service is as worthy as the guy hired to comb his dog.

Nov 22, 04 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

sorry ridge, i was misunderstanding you from your original post. i didn't realize you were being treated differently than the other hired help. not cool, but it's still work. i wouldn't worry too much as long as that's the only slight you are getting. i could see how a client who treats you like a second class flyer, might also do so on other fronts. if so, then i would wrap the job up and decline any future work. who needs clients like that?

lars, understood. my best friend is a large man who can't fly economy. most of us can though even though we also are packed in like sardines.

i recently few to philly on AA, and i actually thought there was more leg room than previously thought. did they give space back to passengers? good for them if they did.

Nov 22, 04 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
J3

e, I fly AA quite a bit, and in answer to your question: Yes, and No.
Yes, some aircraft (S80, 738, 767, and 777) have more room throughout coach. There is a group of aircraft that don't (A300, 757) Unfortunatelly, rumor has it that AA will do away with this perk in order to increase their bottom line. I personally think it stinks, but hey they are pretty much the only airline left that has this.
With regards to flying in Bus/First: I frequently fly to/from DCA-MIA in first due to my "elite" status (only because I fly 25k+ mi/yr). It's not always available, but when it is there is no better way to travel, specially when the ticket I have is $140 bucks. The airlines treat those in coach like cattle, from the way they board you to the treatment...sad but true (AA is better than others (US only)) Board the plane first, no hurry, no hastle with that family of 10 traveling with 50 carry-ons, and who can't find their seats (people the seats increase as you move towards the back...nothing complicated)
Anyways, for those who travel frequently try: link

Nov 22, 04 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: