Archinect
anchor

Seamless quartz floors

Ms Beary

Does anyone have experience with seamless quartz floors? It is an epoxy system with quartz chip aggregate and sounds too good to be true.

Nov 21, 04 11:10 pm
Janosh

We use it all the time with few complications. It's very similar to a ghetto (non-quartz) system that has been used in exterior applications for a long time, so the technology is well established. The only issue indoors is in high traffic areas with dirt, since it has pits between the aggregate chips and tends to pick up a little bit of trash. No contractors have experience with it, so you should work with your vendor to come up with a bullit-proof spec, especially if you are considering filling it with polyurethane. The material itself is not cheap, but installation is relatively cheap and can be done by trained monkeys - it goes down like peanut butter and doesn't need to be burned down like terrazzo.

Maybe I'll post a picture...

Nov 21, 04 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Also - it doesn't go down perfectly flat so don't use a reglet reveal at your base condition... it will look pretty wavey. Oops.

Nov 21, 04 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

I am familiar with an installation as a kitchen countertop, but I believe what you speak of is made by the same process. They can't pre-fab the piece. What they do is come to the site and make a plywood template of the installation area. Back at the factory, they finish the template and pour into the mold. This can be a pain because there is usually a turn around of at least 2-3 weeks between when they come to make the template and time of installation, which can really make a project drag on, so be aware of that.

You wouldn't even know the difference between it and regular granite. It is very durable, and looks great. Given physical constraints due to means of delivery, they often have to cut it, so it's not truly seamless. For more info, check out http://www.silestoneusa.com/eSilestone/eSilestone.cfm

Nov 21, 04 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

OK, it looks like I was pointing to a variation of this product, what Janosh pointed out sounds like it may be more appropriate, depending probably on the size of the installation area.

Nov 21, 04 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

This is the stuff I'm talking about:

http://www.lansdowneresinsystems.co.uk/quartz.htm

It's trowelled on site so it is in fact seamless, so unlike terrazzo you don't need any zinc strips.

Nov 21, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I am talking about the troweled stuff. I am concerned with off gassing. I want to put it in an elementary school addition and remodel. Will probably be OK if they do it over the summer break.
Was also going to used the material as a continous coved base.
Bullit-proof spec? Sounds like good advice. Thanks.
What about aesthetics? Is it as nice as is appears in the manufactuer's photos?

Nov 22, 04 8:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: