Archinect
anchor

are we not wearing suits to interviews now?

St. George's Fields

"all caucasian people dress like they dont care"

See, this is what I hate. It's a double standard.

Most 'fashion rules' that are made are selectively applied and followed. And 'foreigners' are usually put to higher standards than the rest.

It's like jeans. Up until recently, perhaps the 1960s or so... jeans and jeans-like pants were practically underwear. They're not even 'sub-casual.' Similarly, so with turtlenecks.

The adoption of turtlenecks was a revolution to the rules of formal wear, i.e., a non-tie option to business attire is professional circles. Similar to jeans, they're primarily blue-collar working clothes.

But people who don turtlenecks and wear jeans in professional settings are also the same very people who dole out fashion advice and about what to wear. Which I don't care either way but if you're going to practice what you preach... you should be the kind of person who can tell the difference between morning wear and mourning wear.

Namely, when you say the US is a nation filled full of a bunch of jeans-wearing slobs... you get the immediate reaction of "But that's our culture." No, no... you just can't reinvent fashion rules for the sake of comfort and familiarity.

But I also feel that it can be a two-way street. If we let people express themselves culturally (and sensitive to the rules regarding those items cultural norms)... those items should then become the general lexicon of appropriate business attire.

Harem pants and dashikis for all!

Apr 9, 11 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

i wear a button-down shirt and a tie to work every day.
a nice sport-coat on days when i may be expected to join in on a meeting.
never really wear jeans.

you're all slobs.

Apr 9, 11 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

st. george , I think you might have taken part of my quote and placed it out of context, when I said "I did not mean to imply that all caucasian people dress like they don't care, because that is flat out not true", but im confused are you saying you agree that there is a double standard or that its ok to have a double standard?

by the way I really don't consider myself a "foreigner" in the USA, but that's an interesting point, hadn't thought in my Americanized, mind that because I am not white I may be viewed as a foreigner in my own country, even if I have top secret clearance, and served in the military. Once most people talk to me they see i'm as American as apple pie baby.

ps. I hope this doesnt turn into one of those "racism in socieity threads" was not my goal or intention to do that.

Apr 9, 11 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

well, actally my top secret clearance expired already oh well.

Apr 9, 11 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

misspelled word "actually"

Apr 9, 11 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i meant the parentals are to pay not to go to jc penneys and bring you a suit. as far as being fitted for suits whats so tough about
standing there while the salesperson takes some measurements?

Apr 9, 11 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven
Namely, when you say the US is a nation filled full of a bunch of jeans-wearing slobs... you get the immediate reaction of "But that's our culture."

oh... but it is
Apr 9, 11 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Pajama jeans for the win!

What I meant by that is that is that there is a double standard that exists.

The issue I have with this is that 'fashion' is still very much a European phenomenom. There is definitely an American sense of fashion but much of it is largely in the domain of European fashion.

And if were still bound by European concepts of what's appropriate or fashionable, we should accept all of those concepts rather than carefully ignoring the few we dislike.

And my use of foreigner simply means "not of this state." A white person from Texas moving to New York City would be very much a 'foreigner' and their cultural expressions would be criticized more stringently than a seasoned New Yorker. You can see this phenomenon particularly well-illustrated by the 'native' vs. 'hipster' cultural clashes currently taking place.

Another point of debate is the choice of footwear in the US with younger people and particularly people in the Sun Belt wearing more open-aired footwear (flip-flops, sandals, the like). While there is a personal preference there, a larger reason for wearing flip-flops in the more Southern Climates is because many people have learned that your feet will rot off, stink and grow fungus all over them.

So, it's mildly entertaining to hear people up north rabble on how disgusting feet are and you should never wear flip-flops out in public.

Apr 9, 11 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: