Archinect
anchor

"Professionalism" in Professional practice

If 'professionalism' is expected of the people who get recruited and of job seekers - I do feel that the same must be expected of these who are employers.

Look at this job posting:
Would you apply to a firm that posts such a job search...?

http://archinect.com/jobs/description.php?id=105174_0_30_0_C

Apr 5, 11 5:01 pm
Le Courvoisier

It is offering paid contract work with an opportunity of a full time position, so I'm pretty sure there are people that would look past their attempts to kid around a bit (which are better left off of a job posting, but can be appreciated). At least you (maybe) know that they aren't a bunch of stiffs.

Apr 5, 11 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

I can't be sure, but it seems that they are looking for someone with Vectorworks experience...

Professionalism in Architecture?

I don't know the program but I'll apply anyway, lol. Seriously though, everyone is still unemployed and desperate so of course they are going to get people without the exact credentials applying.
You should ask them "I'll use vectorworks if you use spellcheck. I do begin to lose respect when it comes to spelling errors.

Apr 5, 11 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

shankles, it's probably a youngish, hippish, funnish, place to work. You can probably wear jeans to the office. SOM won't be posting that kind of ad.

I *teach* ProPractice and this is where I would tell my students their emotional intelligence needs to come in: view the ad through a lens of contemporary online discourse, figure out if you can respond with a bit of humor in kind, with a slightly casual attitude that ALSO hits on their absolute stated requirements, and should you show up to an interview in a formal suit or in Metrosexual.

I don't have a problem with it, personally. It seems pretty clear.

Apr 5, 11 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Is anyone else sick and tired of employers who demand you know their third tier software platform? Is there other stuff you would rather learn besides every software platform under the sun?

I am starting to miss the days of the pencil even though it was before my time.

Apr 5, 11 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
saroshanklesaria

jbushkey - i fully agree...

Apr 5, 11 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

vectorworks is pretty common and anyway takes like a day and a half to learn.

the days of being able to get a job for which you might not be qualified are long over.

firms have the software they need not the software you know. they also have expectations from their staff. if you don't like it then it is pretty easy to refrain from applying. not sure why that is even a source of complaint.

but really, if the ad seems unprofessional then you are waaaay too full of yourself and shouldn't apply. easy-peasy.

looks like a good place to work to me.

Apr 5, 11 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

well, if it takes a day to learn (which i do believe) then they shouldn't be so goddamned strict about it and they should give a bit of leeway to otherwise qualified candidates.

quibbling about DIFFERENT VARIANTS OF CAD seems a bit nitpicky to me.

otherwise, i can appreciate the humor.

Apr 5, 11 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"I'll use vectorworks if you use spellcheck"

I LOL'ed.

But yeah, at least he's very serial about vectorwors requirement.

Yesterday I came across a job post that required the applicant be fluent in English and three random eastern european languages.

This was a hard requirement. Casually mentioned towards the end of the post.

Still didn't prevent me from applying.

Ay spank Ruski like I was born there. Why not...

Apr 5, 11 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

which three, rusty?

...just curious...

Apr 5, 11 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

(i'm NOT in the market for a job, btw)

Apr 5, 11 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

it was Croatian, Siberian (or Serbian or Syrian, whatever...) and Russian.

I can speak 2 of those. I think.

99% sure these are needed because these are languages you'll find being spoken on construction sites in some countries.

Apr 5, 11 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

ah, can't help you there. aren't croatian and serbian the same (or russian and siberian?)

good luck, either way!

Apr 5, 11 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Professionalism thats a tough one, since my first office i worked at its been downhill as far as professional etiquette. One interview of mine included a verbal language test, which I passed but I think one of the VP's got a little self conscience about a top she wore that exposed most of her cleavage, and she probably assumed I looked at her breasts, I actually kept it professional making only eye contact, other than when she walked into the room like all humans do we all turned around and looked to see who it was, frankly I was there for a job interview I could care less if the VP lady walked in wearing a bikini, but that was really not a professional outfit.

Apr 5, 11 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Phew, glad it wasn't a written language test :)

elinor, if I ever need to fake knowledge of Romanian, you're my go to dudette.

Apr 5, 11 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"That job posting shows a sense of humor."

they have a genuinely weird relationship to computers.

THEY LIST ALL THE PRINTERS THEY USE ON THEIR WEB SITE.

who does that?

You will be working there on a G4 mac. A computer that was discontinued over 10 years ago.

Apr 5, 11 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

has anyone you've known ever gotten an interview or job via archinect?

Apr 5, 11 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"has anyone you've known ever gotten an interview or job via archinect?"

Yes on interview part.

I once helped an employer find a replacement for me by telling them to use this site.

3rd person they hired finally worked out for them.

Apr 5, 11 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I used to have a job using Vectorworks on a G4 mac... it was great.

Apr 5, 11 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

I've gotten jobs off archinect... not since the recession and the employer's inboxes started overflowing though..

Apr 6, 11 12:31 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I think the ad is hilarious.

They pretty much only want one thing-- someone who can use vectorworks! I personally stopped applying for all jobs at which I am clearly not capable of doing.

@rusty.

The printer thing is not that weird if they use a lot of out-of-office graphic designers. Also, if you bid on government contracts... many governments actually want to know these things for some odd reason.

Don't ask why but in one of my public administration classes-- there was a whole term dedicated to the RFI/RFP/RFQ process. One assignment we had was to contact a company and catalog their entire 'assets' including the number of desks they had, what kind of printers they used and even what their trash capacity was.

Apr 6, 11 1:05 am  · 
 · 
not_here

vectorworks is for baddies that can't stomach real bim/parametrics.

Apr 6, 11 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Rasa

I was tempted to take that job post and ask if someone has seen other funny ones like that. I personally found it quite amusing and would apply anyways. A little humor doesn't hurt.Of course, the big wigs wouldn't post that. I guess it gives you an idea what kind of place one would work. I personally didn't think it was unprofessional really.

Apr 7, 11 4:15 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Its obvious someone lied and got the job...
Humor is good though and someone I used to work with would always say if the firm demands a piss test run.
Anyway, they should just give a vectorworks skills test after interview.

Apr 7, 11 7:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: