Archinect
anchor

Architect/Realtor

JabbaRookie

Do these careers go hand-in-hand?

Apr 5, 11 4:35 pm
dblock

I don't know about hand-in-hand but at an old office I used to work at, they also had a real estate business on the side. So they would design/develop the property and then sell it afterward. They seemed to make decent money. This was about 10 years ago.

You aren't really going to work for an architects office as the in-house realtor though or at a realtors office as an in-house architect.
The two aren't really connected since neither skill set really coincides with the other. If you are doing this just to net some extra money.... Then the only way I see this panning out is to set up 2 firms for their respective trades and buy properties to design and sell off. You need capital and good credit though.

If you are not looking to use the skills to work for other firms, then I don't really see any advantage of getting the Realtor license.

Apr 5, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

I should amend that to say: capital, good credit AND a thriving Real Estate market (for demand)...

Apr 5, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
JabbaRookie

Can't I have one firm with a combination of the two?

Apr 5, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

of course you can.
but as dblock pointed out, to what end?
actually, you'd be foolish to not legally separate the two activities.

Apr 5, 11 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

yes keeping the firms seperate help for legal, liability reasons.

You haven't even started architecture school yet according to your other thread. If you survive 2nd or 3rd year and get a few years of interning under your belt, pass the exams, THEN you can start thinking about specializing and opening your own firm..
As an employee though, there is no real way to connect the 2 practices as mentioned earlier..

Apr 5, 11 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: