Archinect
anchor

Oregon

mikaelam

Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to U of O 3 year program as well as Berkeley, Michigan, Parsons and City College. I attended the Michigan open house last week, and was impressed by certain aspects of the program, but wasn't totally sold on it - honestly a big part of it is the isolated setting of Ann Arbor. I'm leaning towards Berkeley - flying out there tomorrow to attend the open house. I can't afford to go up to the Oregon open house too. Was wondering if anyone could weigh in a little bit on the Oregon program? I'm on the 3 year track - non-arch background. Specific areas of interest for me are representational technologies, history / social / international context, and collaborative landscape / architectural ways of working.

Any thoughts / info appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 2, 11 10:48 pm
holz.box

you don't think eugene isn't 'isolated'?

Apr 2, 11 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
mikaelam

oh yeah, it's extremely isolated - went through there a couple of months ago - but after year one of the program you can transfer to the Portland campus.

Apr 2, 11 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You can't afford to visit Eugene? If that's the case, you may not be able to afford living in Berkley.

Your living expenses at either Oregon or Michigan will be a portion of what you'll have to pay in SF suburb.

Apr 3, 11 12:24 am  · 
 · 
slytown

Technology instruction/exploration is currently nil (unless you consider Sketchup + Photoshop to be adequate). We do have a new professor from SOM who has started a class on parametric design (GC, Grasshopper), but that is the exception.

The social context class is a joke. History classes are strong - probably one of the strongest areas I've seen here. There are several study abroad programs for the international stuff, if you've got a few grand to spare on top of tuition.

They talk a lot about interdisciplinary collaboration but I haven't seen it happen. You can take a design studio in another department for one quarter, but it's not like you'll be in class with people from anywhere but Arch.

You also forgot the magic question - money. The department recently announced a funding shift that seems to be aimed at boosting research activity. That said, as an option 3 you'll be at the end of the bread line behind the new PhDs, Option 1s and 2s.

Everyone wants to go to Portland. There is not a "transfer" policy, despite whatever they might tell you. You just have to preference for a studio up there and hope you get in. Did I mention you are at the end of the line?

Enjoy Berkeley!

Apr 4, 11 10:11 am  · 
 · 
er8y_j

^ slytown

Are you talking about UO or Berkeley?

Feb 27, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: