Archinect
anchor

Friend wants me to design an addition, what are my limitations (unlicensed)

jlpete44

I have finished my 4 year accredited degree but am currently unemployed. I have a family friend who wants me to design an addition for her house and create CD's for her nephew to build off of. What are the legal implications here? This is a pretty low key affair in rural Indiana and she's trying to help both of us out. He is a licensed contractor though. They will have to have a building permit, but what is it exactly that regulates where the construction drawings come from? Would I have to work with a registered architect from the very beginning design phase or can I get all the way through the design and leave the final drawings and detailing up to an architect and still be able to be involved?

I want to help, but I need to know what I can do legally so I can tell them if and when they have to hire someone. I think they are under the impression that they would just hire me and I need to know what to tell them they need to do.

I would appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Mar 27, 11 12:33 pm
Rusty!

Small projects don't require architect's stamp. You should know that by now.

Do your design drawings (and what you think construction drawings are) and the contractor will take care of the rest, including the necessary permits.

If you're lucky, he may even follow some of your designs. :)

Mar 27, 11 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

And I didn't mean to sound snarky. This would be your first commission. That's very exciting!

Have fun with it, and all the best!

Mar 27, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

Check with the state architects board for limitations for an unlicensed person.

Mar 27, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Basically what you want to create are not CDs but a fairly well-detailed Schematic Design. The licensed contractor can use it to get a building permit and will take on the liability of the project. Upside: less risk for you. Downside: less money and control for you. But that's the tradeoff.

Indiana state approvals for a building permit require a building wall section - they have a worksheet (your contractor probably has it already) that shows what the required info is. Since this is a family affair, you all should work together to make sure the drawings you give the contractor have the required info shown in such a way that he (contractor) won't be building it in a way he's not accustomed to OR that doesn't meet the code requirements.

I do residential remodels and additions in Indiana and have never had to stamp a drawing for this work. Since this is a first commission for you, be open-minded and use it mainly as a learning experience, not so much a chance to cram every great design idea you no doubt had in school into a 200sf addition. You're taking that big leap into actual practice now: be honest, humble, work in good faith, and learn all you can. Enjoy!

(PS there's no such thing as a 4 year accredited degree. What do you have?)

Mar 27, 11 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Small projects don't require architect's stamp. You should know that by now.--- this depends entirely on where you are located.--

otherwise, what donna said.

Mar 27, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

And by the way, don't be daunted by this. It's overwhelming to try to take what seems like a ton of knowledge gained in college and realize you don't know the first damn thing about wood stud framing. It's OK. I'm 44 years old and just learned, last week, that when my contractor/developer friend said "18' wide living room" he actually mean 17'-4" because that's the framed interior distance that allows for joist bearing. It's a long slow process, which is why in part you should rely on your friend's nephew's knowledge of how to build things. Once you've gone through the process once you'll realize how much you don't know and that is a good experience.

Mar 27, 11 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

also, your advantage here is that you can participate or at least observe the construction enabling you to learn how a simple building goes together. i would be glad to help in any way as I am a hoosier and have much residential experience.

Mar 27, 11 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Hi vado! I miss you!

Mar 27, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i miss you too! i am reliving my residential horror stories, now.

Mar 27, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Get a room you two.

Mar 27, 11 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I live in a chicago suburb, and the building department rules this city of 25 thousand with an iron fist, we need an architects stamp even for a garage its pretty strange, they have the same guy in charge for the past 4 decades.

Mar 27, 11 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Digital_Sandbox

Which Chicago suburb is this creativity?

Mar 27, 11 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Always check with the building department in the city you are seeking the permit. They are the governing agency and will tell you exactly what you need in terms of engineering etc...

I would suggest make some general sketches to define the scope of the project, then make an appointment with the building department. It has been my experience they welcome this review before a project is submitted formally and can make the process for all involved much smoother.

Good Luck!

Mar 27, 11 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

"I do residential remodels and additions in Indiana and have never had to stamp a drawing for this work."

in new mexico, we're required to stamp all instruments of service, whether or not the code requires a stamp. in other words, if you're a registered professional, you're stamping whatever comes out of your office. makes it slightly more difficult to do favors...

Mar 28, 11 10:31 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

"Small projects don't require architect's stamp. You should know that by now."

Not all the time true. Contact the city and find out.

Mar 28, 11 10:37 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

I believe there is a state law, the state I live in, that says that anything an architect produces, shall be stamped and signed. So once you get that license, a wood deck requires stampage.

Mar 28, 11 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Exactly, jeffe. Indiana isn't a state that requires me to stamp anything I do simply because I have that authority. I am held personally liable as an architect for anything I stamp, AND anything I produce whether I stamp it or not. But until one is registered, the personal liability doesn't apply. In many ways, getting registered is a bad idea!

Mar 28, 11 10:53 am  · 
 · 
jlpete44

Thank you all so much for the responses! I feel much more confident about what I can tell them in our meeting about the project today. I will be sure to look into the city requirements and do everything I can to make sure this all runs smoothly. Also, I appreciate your wise words...I feel so much better about all this right now and promise to be open minded and ready to learn.

Donna, sorry for the confusion, I have a BFA from Miami University which is an accredited school. I know that doesn't matter for undergrad...not sure why I put that...maybe trying to make myself sound more important than just unemployed college grad :) Thanks for all your help.

Mar 28, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: