Archinect
anchor

How to go about getting a Summer Internship

AliTroy

I am just a 2nd year Arc student but I'd really like to get a summer internship in an Architecture firm. I'd go just about anywhere to get some experience and to learn more. I've started sending out random e mail to firms in NYC and Istanbul but not sure if that's the right approach. Any advise on where to start?

Mar 23, 11 5:31 pm
Paradox

NYC and Istanbul?? Are those like....6000 miles apart?

Mar 23, 11 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
AliTroy

who cares. I can go anywhere if it's a good opportunity. I have some relatives in Istanbul and New York so that would make living accommodation easy, but I will go anywhere if it's a good oooprtunity for me to learn something. I love Istanbul - and the architecture there - and that would be my top choice, but it's tough because I don't speak fluent Turkish. Suggestions?

Mar 23, 11 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

cold calls. nobody answers emails. it works with human resource departments sometimes, but especially with smaller firms where the principle is forced to talk to you and can't just pass over your email. thats how i got mine... sent a bunch of emails and physical resumes and barely anyone responded (to tell me no). 2nd cold call and I got an interview.

Mar 23, 11 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Well as a person who stayed in NYC for 6 years and then moved to Istanbul only 3 months ago..I'd advise you not to seek internships in NYC because the competition is too stiff. I'd definitely suggest seeking internship opportunities in Istanbul because when I walk around in Istanbul I see construction everywhere.Turkey is the 16th biggest emerging economy in the world right now so..if you can't find a position in Turkey now you can never find it anywhere else in the world. In my opinion cold emailing is fine as well as cold calling but you really gotta research the hell out of the company before you contact them. It is really important but I also see many job ads in Istanbul in architectural field so I say try them too,just reply and see what happens.

Mar 23, 11 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Muhammed Ashiq

My name is Ashiq , from India. For the past 2 weeks i've been searching for an internship in Turkey.I dont have any idea about the firms in Turkey.I've sent my portfolios to many of the firms in Turkey but nobody responded.Will someone suggest me some firms in Turkey?

Apr 6, 19 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Google.

Apr 6, 19 9:41 am  · 
 · 
babyarchitect1

I think it truly depends on what you are interested in. You say you'll take anything but that would seem hard to believe if you are looking in NYC. You said you have relatives in NYC but where do you live? I would start there if you are just a second year and this is your first time looking. Its amazing how many firms I've contacted in small cities that have never had an intern or ever had a student want to work there! My first internship, was at a really small firm in my hometown. It was a city without any universities around that feed architecture students out but is also growing so there's still lots of firms around. I simply emailed several firms (many that never respond) and I was offered the job on the spot. That goes to say it was not glamourus but I learned a lot about myself and my passions in the field and I can't imagine about to graduate not knowing that. I was able to live at home, and save almost 80 percent of my income for school the next year and fund a few travel projects. The firm was very minimal and didn't do a whole lot of design, but it was experience nonetheless, something that as a second year, I had next to none. The following year I was able to move to a new firm and get a better experience for the field, one thing they mentioned was I had "worked in an architecture office before". 

Apr 11, 19 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
yomnana

Greetings,

I'm a freshman architecture student in Özyeğin University. I'm looking for an internship for this summer. It's preferable to be from the home/online due to the current situation we are suffering from. In addition to that I would like to have it in English if possible since I am a foreigner. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Jun 9, 20 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hear from who? This is not how you look for jobs.

Jun 9, 20 9:08 pm  · 
1  ·  1

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: