Archinect
anchor

Will a business minor help me get into grad. school?

Zahu55

plain and simple question for you all, I still have a few years before graduation and currently I am taking an online accounting course towards a business minor. Since accounting is my first attempt at a business course its the ice breaker for me and so far its got me thinking business is not for me. So I am considering changing my minor to urban studies, or are there actually benefits of having a business minor in the real world like some articles leave me to believe?

Mar 21, 11 9:54 pm
Zahu55

also any advice if i should pursue a business minor for when applying to jobs after graduation would awesome too. thanks everyone

Mar 21, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I actually did get a business minor in undergrad, mostly due to having to take a certain amount of credits to keep my scholarship and having only 3 classes left by my 4th year. In comparison to architecture classes, business classes were a joke. Getting the minor was one of the easiest things I did.

Did it help at all? Hard to say. It's really anyone's guess what separates your application from the stack of graduate school applications. There is any combination of things - portfolio, essay, letters of rec. - that weigh in your favor. It certainly doesn't hurt. Personally I think anyone can benefit from taking a class in marketing.

Mar 21, 11 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Zahu: "... are there actually benefits of having a business minor in the real world ..."

Design firms are businesses that generally work for clients who have a business orientation. Perhaps you can draw your own conclusion from that.

By the way, while accounting is known as 'the language of business' it's only one aspect of a very broad field. Learning accounting is dry enough in a classroom setting -- I can't imagine how dry it must be online.

Perhaps that's not the best scenario for deciding whether you'd like business or not. You might want to try topics like 'marketing' or 'organizational design' in a classroom setting before you finally decide that business is not for you.

Mar 22, 11 8:42 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Get the business minor, that will help you forever.

As CC notes, it is pretty damn easy. I don't know if it helped me get in anywhere, that's not why I did it, but I did get in everywhere I wanted so who knows.

Important Note (that almost everyone seems to not know): you can take care for your GRE requirements by getting a minor - two birds with one stone. Really, this should be drilled into high school students, just a free pass, really, take better classes, get a minor and not one credit hour more effort.

PS - I think everyone should at least have a minor in business. Accounting sucks, but business can be great. As quiz suggests, that's one of the horribly boring parts, there is much, much more to business. I never thought I'd like it, more of a necessary evil, but I find I like it almost as much as design.

Mar 22, 11 8:55 am  · 
 · 
thouonesand

"you can take care for your GRE requirements by getting a minor ." ? can you help to understand this ?

Jun 3, 11 12:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: