Archinect
anchor

Interning in Beijing

LITS4FormZ

I know this has been talked about before in a couple threads but I was hoping to foster some fresh discussion as things tend to change in China rather quickly. I, along with a couple classmates are hoping to make the jump to Beijing for the summer and I was wondering if anyone had experience with these firms??

Zeidler Partnership Architects
Graft lab
OMA Beijing
Approach Architecture Studio
Urbanus
FCZJ

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Mar 18, 11 1:08 am

what have you got against MAD?

Mar 18, 11 1:50 am  · 
 · 
orion

have heard good things about graft and urbanus. Ole Sheeren ex OMA partner just opened an office here. Zaha and Steven Holl both have offices here as well.

If you are thinking about Beijing definitely consider Shanghai as well. UN studio has an office there as well as a bunch of other firms. Word is MVRDV is opening one as well.

Mar 18, 11 2:06 am  · 
 · 
junihaoni

Foreign architects are doing much bigger projects in Beijing as compared to Shanghai. There are not as many in Shanghai except for the recently completed Giant Headquarters by Morphosis in the outskirts of Shanghai. SPARCH, UN Studio, David Chipperfield have offices here. MADA Spam, run by Ma Qingyun, dean of USC is also based here. Beijing is not as dense and compact as Shanghai, hence more opportunities for big iconic projects. In Shanghai, its mostly about skyscrapers and heritage preservations. Offices based here usually venture out of Shanghai to neighbouring places like Hangzhou, Guangzhou, Suzhou for way bigger projects.

Mar 18, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Thank you for your input, I've been to both Beijing and Shanghai, both great cities and I'd be happy living in either one. I received a verbal offer from one of the aforementioned firms and will receive a written contract and invitation letter next week. Hopefully if all goes well I'll be crossing the pond in May!

Mar 19, 11 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Oh and nothing against MAD....

Mar 19, 11 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: