Archinect
anchor

Specification writing website

horcrux

Anyone know there's any website other than arcat that can help us generate specifucation document?

Mar 17, 11 3:51 am
curtkram
http://specsintact.ksc.nasa.gov/

this seems to be commonly used by the government. It might be worth looking at if you find such things fun.

also,
http://www.arcomnet.com/

Mar 17, 11 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Spec writer here.

The specs you'll find scattered across the web are typically written by manufacturers, and as such have a limit to their use. Manufacturers will typically write their specs in such a way as to exclude their biggest competitors. Approach with caution.

If your office is frequently preparing specs I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of an unedited masterformat spec set. Unfortunately, you'll need to pay for those.

btw, which spec do you need right now?

Mar 17, 11 11:22 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

just curious, i've used spectext. i've heard of masterspec, and i was exposed to some fancy, new, integrated live database spec writing tool but i cannot remember the name of it

rustystuds, have you been exposed to different systems and if so, do you have a preference?

Mar 17, 11 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

jm, I've never used spectext. Almost exclusively masterspec. From what I've seen, there is no such thing as a fully integrated spec product. You can automate some aspects of preparing a spec, but ultimately you will need to manually fine tune each spec. Depending on your project, you have the flexibility of moving products around. Sometimes custom work warrants creation of a custom spec. Example: 5 story wine tower in a single spec, as opposed to being spread over 8 different documents. Or if you only have one type of glass, and it's part of woodworker's scope, you are better off not having a separate glazing section. There is a lot of discretion when it comes to putting a project manual together.

Mar 17, 11 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

rustystuds provides excellent advice about using a specification from a manufacturer's website. While that information can be helpful, you would be going way out on a limb to simply use such a specification without further research and editing.

Major master specifications systems (in the USA, anyway) are Masterspec, Spectext and BSD Speclink. Spectext was just purchased by Arcom, which is the producer of Masterspec. jmanganelli may be referring to BSD Speclink as the "...fancy, new, integrated live database spec writing tool..." It is automated, to some degree, in that it will automatically make edits in a specificatiion section based on each choice you make, manually, in the section. In other words, if you have a specification section for Wood Doors and in the first paragraph of that section it says the section is about flush wood doors and stile/rail doors, and you manually deleted the reference to flush wood doors, BSD Speclink would automatically go through the rest of the section and delete out everything that is pertinent only to flush wood doors (this is an over-simplified example). It is important to note, though, that all of these systems still rely on a knowledgeable user in order to produce a truly accurate professional specification.

Arcom and BSD Speclink have websites easy to find.

The Construction Specifications Institute is, by far, your best source for information about researching materials/products and writing specifications. Check out www.csinet.org

Mar 17, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

eyeball man: In other words, if you have a specification section for Wood Doors and in the first paragraph of that section it says the section is about flush wood doors and stile/rail doors, and you manually deleted the reference to flush wood doors, BSD Speclink would automatically go through the rest of the section and delete out everything that is pertinent only to flush wood doors

It would often do this for you very poorly. It's fine for mundane specs like drywall or toilet accessories. If you have design critical component(s) like elaborate architectural woodwork or a monumental stair, you are better off working down from a master manually.

Otherwise I agree with you 100%.

Mar 17, 11 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

thanks ledoux's eye, bsd speclink is in fact what i was referencing. also, thanks to both of you for the useful advice

Mar 17, 11 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: