Archinect
anchor

Yet another portfolio critique

slop

Hey all,

I'm about to embark on a quest to attain that which we all desire. A job. Gross, I know, and it would be much more exciting if times weren't so tough. But I'm not here to start another thread on why it's impossible to find a job, I hear that all day every day. I'm looking for constructive criticism on the current state of my portfolio, I have read many fair critiques of portfolio's on this site and think that the knowledge and experience offered by archinectors is invaluable :)

http://issuu.com/jho017/docs/draft_portfolio

Note:

- First project layout is not complete due as some images are still coming text descriptions are coming

- Some images were not able to be loaded on Issuu due to vector overload.

- Last project is removed due to copyrights

and large white mid section is left for binding purpose

Mar 14, 11 8:46 am
larslarson

some nice projects there...
the first thing i noticed was that there's no layout structure to the point of distraction...images are sort of all over the place...for no apparent reason to me... there's full bleed..centered..lower on the page...right justified..left justified etc.

i think the projects themselves are nice..but i couldn't figure out why everything was all over the place.. i also think that some of your images would benefit by being larger... you have a couple full bleeds..i think you could have more. i think your process images for the crane and the elevations on the last project are the weakest right now.. overall though i think you have the work..just needs a bit better layout to my eye.

Mar 14, 11 9:42 am  · 
 · 
ElGrecus

First, this is a good portfolio. My thoughts:

1) Change the font. It looks like Trebuchet or something like that. It's too bland. Use something modern but slightly less generic.

2) Revise the cover page. Make the contrast in sizes of "JH" (or your name when you do put it in there) and the other words more dynamic. Do you need the words "ARCHITECTURE" and "DESIGN PORTFOLIO"? I think those two go without saying.

3) Make gaps between groups of images consistent. See pages 18-19. Pick a gap between images, say .125" or .25" and make them consistent both horizontally and vertically across the portfolio.

4) Make use of image titles. Especially on spreads where a few images are just floating out on the pages. Anchor the images with brief titles or very brief descriptions. These will add info (i.e. "Section looking west" or "View along the commons", label your elevations) and give some fine detail to the page design.

5) Make your project title "bold" not "normal" font weight. Create a visual dynamic between main titles and text font weights. Go for carefully contrasting proportions.

Mar 14, 11 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
slop

Thanks for your feedback, it is really very helpful

@lars - I'm just doing a flick through and I think you are right, I went for an elongated page size in InDesign to cater for the mostly landscape images but have in reality found in difficult to size images nicely onto the page. Maybe I'll use more guidelines and perhaps making more images full bleed like you say will free up more space on pages with multiple images,

@ElGrecus - thanks for noticing the finer details, you make good points on improving visual impact and I'll take them into consideration

Mar 14, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

overall, it looks good. i like the subtle yet specific quality of your renderings and rendered sections, and there's a nice, coherent aesthetic to most of the projects which shows that you have a sensibility.

but am i the only one who thinks it's odd that there are almost no drawings? there's one floor plan which looks kind of commercial and some line elevations that don't have the same sensitivity as the renderings (maybe an issuu problem w/linework?)

maybe i'm just old. but your prospective employers probably will be as well....

Mar 14, 11 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

...or i guess i'm not reading the same level of clarity/proportion, etc. in the cut-model plans (revit?) as i would in architectural drawings. maybe it's just because it's so small on the screen.

Mar 14, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
slop

Cheers for your comments elinor, yea now that you mention it I have left out plans sections and elevational drawings. I never really used them that much in studio.. I actually dunnno how I got away with it come to think of it. Bit unfortunate considering thats pretty much all Ill be doing at work.... hmmm

Mar 15, 11 8:05 am  · 
 · 
wrought.n

I agree with elinor, more drawings and possibly more diagrams. One aspect of architecture, specifically professional practice, that I try to sell people about myself is my ability to communicate verbally and graphically. Obviously, the only way for a prospect employer to know if you can communicate verbally is through an interview, but you have to be able to show you can communicate well graphically through the portfolio. Obviously you can have great talent at composing and visualizing a project, however, your ability to communicate the intent and other important aspects of these projects is still up in the air for me. I would love to see more drawings and diagrams that add more dimension and can communicate the simplified idea or principle behind each project, since this is something that will be essential in professional practice. Good luck, and don't be so pessimistic, it is a great time to look for a job, especially if you are talented and tenacious about your approach.

Mar 15, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: