Archinect
anchor

berlin calling?

pzuro

Lieblings Archinecters,

I'm fleeing our great nation, heading for the hills. i've weighed the pros and cons, evaluated the forecast with a wet tip of the finger, and decided to re-ex-patriate... at least until grad school starts. I've sold my '98 corolla and my analog synthesizer, my external monitor and my medium-format camera. I'm taking with me my state university Master of Architecture, twenty fresh-off-the-press copies of my portfolio, a 3/4 sized acoustic guitar conveniently sized for remarkably stress free travel, and a stuffed duffle containing essentials like an army-issue parka, stainless steel eatery, vintage detective novels, and unfiltered lucky strikes.

Because you see once upon a time i lived in Berlin as an undergraduate, happily horrifying FH Potsdam professors with design processes that included fire crackers, muenster cheese, zip-lock bags, thanksgiving centerpieces, and artificial road kill. I did this for a year, and it was bliss... bouncing around an impossibly free territory, sporting disgusting hair cuts and frequenting gypsy bars, trading sneakers for leather jackets, making the city my laboratory and generally causing a ruckus with the german educational system. i made many friends, and many more enemies.

now, however, i am a professional.

i'm 23 years old, with the german-language skills equivalent to that of a child half my age, and a damn good looking ben sherman suit. my portfolio is fresh off the press, naked as a jaybird for your viewing pleasure:

http://issuu.com/p.zuroweste/docs/portfolio

but the purpose of this thread is to call upon my archinect comrades with a hand in the pocket of Berlin's current architecture employment trends. Beyond the ninja "remember me?" maneuver I'm going to pull on my old professors, are there any organizations, websites, forums, lecture series, cocktail parties, or hardcore techno events I should pursue? Perhaps you've enjoyed this general discussion entry, and would like to employ me?

Perhaps you own an apartment in mitte, where you'd like to rent me a room for 150 Euros/month? Or maybe you're just an all around good guy/gal that is willing to sit down with me when i arrive, ein paar flaschen bier? i'll buy...

Mar 5, 11 1:26 am
Rusty!
"room for 150 Euros/month"

That just sounds unrealistic. I really hope you budgeted more than that for housing. It's like moving to nyc and looking for a $400/m room. Not gonna happen.

Otherwise good luck!

Mar 5, 11 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Mitte ROCKS!!!!

It has been the coolest place to be on the Continent for the last ten years.

Rents were about $350 a month for a nice place in the old east but that was in 2000.

Mar 5, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

yea i had a room in a flat at frankfurter tor--in the old stalinist 'workers palace' housingi--back in 2008, rent was 320 Euros. From what I hear they've gone up considerably. I'll probably end up in Nuekolln, maybe Kreuzberg : / at least i'll be close to bar 23...

does anybody have a gauge on the difficulty of finding entry level work? in relationship to, say, NYC?

Mar 5, 11 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Mitte??

It's not even the coolest part of Berlin!

And a pal just found a room for 150/mth, so itäs possible but I'd budget 250-300 warm for a room in a WG. Lots available in Fhain, Xberg, or Neukölln for those prices.

Mar 5, 11 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"And a pal just found a room for 150/mth, so itäs possible but I'd budget 250-300 warm for a room in a WG. Lots available in Fhain, Xberg, or Neukölln for those prices."

Damn! I really miss the America of pre real estate ponzi scheme bubble. You could have found a room in Manhattan for $400 only 10 years ago.

Can we all come along with you to Berlin pzuro?

Mar 5, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

you are all invited under the conditions of a non-compete clause : D

Mar 5, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You can have all the arch jobs. We'll just sell hash at the corner. Probably make more in a week than your entire year's salary :)

But seriously. Don't do drugs there.

Sell them instead.

Mar 5, 11 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

kreuzberg... doeners... damn...

Mar 5, 11 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
chriswinterpill

berlin will be destroyed by hipsters someday...

Mar 6, 11 4:26 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Technically, no country in Europe can have hipsters. You'll have had healthy doses of irony since the Protestant Reformation.

Mar 6, 11 4:29 am  · 
 · 
chriswinterpill

well hipsters as in freshly immigrated american hipsters. i do understand that the idea of hipster is so uniquely american. :)

Mar 6, 11 4:35 am  · 
 · 
pzuro

i'm more concerned about men and women morphing into a single indistinguishable sex. and as for the hipsters, well they form a solid client-base for the hash economy.

Mar 6, 11 5:07 am  · 
 · 
flickernoise

ich liebe berlin! my rent is 250, but there's def the possibility of living cheaper in neukoelln (great swarm of new galleries there as well)... you probably already know of wg-gesucht to check the prices... in terms of getting an architecture job, may be a bit difficult b/c there's already so many architects... my former roommate worked as an artists assistant, irregular work but fantastic projects... life is cheap here, so if you have a bit of savings, something will turn up... here are postings for jobs for recent grads/internships in german on udk's website:http://www.arch.udk-berlin.de/news/index.php?site=630100
they probably have something similar @ tu berlin as well. feel free to send me a pm if you have more questions!

Mar 6, 11 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sharkalderon

Good luck Pzuro. Do the damn thing! Just got back from Berlin. Great city, one of my favorites from Europe. A lot of good things happening over there.

Mar 12, 11 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: