Archinect
anchor

What else can you do outside of Architecture

OP17

Just graduated with an m.arch a month ago and still looking for jobs.  The animation/film industry is becoming more enticing as time goes by.  However, like putting down an investment, it's hard letting go of architecture and looking for better pastures.  

So my question is this: For those with professional degrees, what made you stay (or stay out) of the profession?  Second, what did you pursue instead and how did you make the transition?  Third, with our education in mind, what skills did you find important and applicable to your career?

Honestly, I don't see myself pursuing architecture as a profession--I just don't see the point of "making a difference" if a difference means doing things differently, and more effectively outside of the profession.  Cynicism aside, the war in Libya saved Europe's finances and kept Ivan out of its water hole.  Wait, that's still cynicism.  Hrrm.

DISCUSS!

Jun 19, 11 5:06 pm
Token AE

If you are technically and technologically inclined as well, I think that architects have a fantastic background for software design- particularly where human interaction is involved.

I had a brief stint as a software product manager (no prior programming experience) and it was very interesting. Programmers often need some guidance on how the average joe will interact with something, and architects tend to make great managers.

I think the same holds true for product design, but that is a much harder gig to get. 

Jun 19, 11 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

Agreed, I used to work as an "information architect" building websites, and that role shares many of the skills sets, work flow, and documentation one might use working as a traditional architect.  It's really an interesting field.

Jun 20, 11 11:31 am  · 
 · 
binary

fields that I have dipped into   professional model building, exhibit engineering, design/build, construction, art, furniture....... i lost hope in the field so embarking more into product/furniture design and production

Jun 20, 11 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

That's just terrible. Why would you want to give up being in the field altogether?

You can just find another job to tide you over, but you shouldn't give up. Lots of people would give an arm and a leg to have the same qualifications as you. Since you made it through the course, you're obviously smart and competent. Why wouldn't you want to end up designing a school or a huge skyscraper someday?

Even in a bad economy, someone always has use for an architect. It's like dentistry or surgery. Someone, somewhere, is crying out for you! Just got to be patient. 

Jun 20, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I used to be in the video game industry for 11 years as an environment designer.worked  Even in this downturn and out of work for 12 months, I stuck it out, worked for free, did freelance, and converted  my thesis project from Maya to Revit. Then I started getting work, temp assignments at first, then longer 1 year assignments. I am glad I stuck it out, architecture is real,more intriging and serves a real purpose for people than doing mandatory hours "busting out buildings for games and " It's like Ryan002 says, there is always someone that needs an architect or in my case,  I have my goals, have made a difference and will continue to do so -

You have come a long way. If you give up on this, you will begin a life of retreat that will lead to a life of cynicism that leads to regret which in turn will kill you - I know many who are "packing it in" they are a sad lot - believe me, you don't want to end up like these folks. These folks are in pretty bad shape - they just game up and now discount those you do what it takes to succeed ,

"Oh Lindsey is always studying that stupid A.R.E and spending all Saturday taking those tests, thinks she is going to be some kind of architect , LOL - why doesn't she become an astronaut instead or even run for president - I mean like get real all ready"?

"never let those you gave up on their dreams, discourage you from yours"

Jun 21, 11 12:41 am  · 
 · 
binary

unless you are totally up to date on programs and have hott rendering skills, you won't get looked at...... hands on experience is no longer respected in the field (unless you do smaller scaled design/build)...... why try to stick it out in a field that doesn't respect other avenues of design techniques....... i had enough of the field and the b.s. that gets tossed around..... long hours/low pay/etc.....sorry, but i have school loans to pay and a life to enjoy... i'm over it

Jun 22, 11 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

If you haven't yet, check our ongoing feature series "Working Out of the Box"

Working out of the Box is a series of features presenting architects who have applied their architecture backgrounds to alternative career paths.

Jun 22, 11 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Run www.archinect.com. Ahem.

Jun 23, 11 1:02 am  · 
 · 
OP17

Thanks Paul, good interviews and info on what can be done outside the profession.

Ryan and Suverk:

Already been through the "life of cynicism" while working on my B.Arch, and did my M.Arch as a desperate attempt to "escape" the economy.  Internships at a corporate firm doing healthcare, schools, etc., and a small firm in the South--the experiences gained, while valuable, also told me that my skills are better appreciated elsewhere.  At the same time, it's also proof of my lack of enjoyment (+direction) as a designer.  Twice I've been given the "why are you in the field?" discussion, and twice, I wasn't able to give a well-constructed answer.  Sustainability/LEED?  No.  Green building?  I could care less.  AIA?  You've got to be kidding me--I'm not a professional service-to-society (we don't mention design/style because we don't believe in it) poster boy.  During an interview, a Principal commented: "Your (thesis) work looks like a videogame."  Well, that pretty much hit the mark.

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." 

-- The Alchemist 

Jun 25, 11 12:15 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Today I was driving to a Contractors office when this lil car went whizzing past me as I sat at a stop sign. I then knew what I would do if I weren't doing Architecture. The car was a, "Google Road Warrior."  One of those cars with a camera mounted on a pole on top of the roof, which drive around and take pictures of road ways the 360 degree view.  I followed him for about a half a mile...and I said "Ya, an unemployed Architect, could do that!"

Jun 28, 11 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

I saw Ramsey Gordans show Masterchef the other day.  Apparently one of the contestants interviewed graduated with an M.arch and $150,000 in debt in 2008.  Got laid off 2 years ago and has not found work since.

So, aspiring game/reality show contestant may work to your advantage and possibly short order cook.

Jun 29, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I have to agree with Binary and OP17. Sure it's a bad time right now, but even when it's good, it's still bad as the profession seems to be on a decline. Sadly, following the dreams I've had since I was 8 have left me unemployed for the last 10 months, going on 11 and living with my mother at 27 years old. I'm the most educated among many of my friends, but have the worst job prospects and zero dignity. Sure architecture fascinates me, and people think you are cool at parties but like Binary says, I'm over it.

You don't necessarily have to leave the field completely though. I'm starting to think about my interests within architecture including community planning and development as well as construction. The few months that I did get to work at a firm often had me at the construction site and I loved it. I plan to take construction management courses this fall, the outlook seems to be better and it at least gets me out of the house.

Jun 30, 11 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

I just started working as Space Planner for a company of 10,000+. I still get to be around design, sustainability, doing what I love, but the benefits are amazing, pays better than what I've made in the past and I don't have to work insane hours. 

Jun 30, 11 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

How did you land that space planning job? Congrats

Jun 30, 11 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

Thanks. It was advertised on the national AIA job board. I had done some space planning right out of school, but had done the design firm thing after. The interview process was super long with two phone interviews and two in person interviews as well as a four week wait to hear back about the job and another four weeks to start.

Jul 2, 11 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

I'm getting very verklempt, the holy roman empire was neither holy nor roman, discuss!  talwk amounghst yaselves.

Jul 4, 11 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
G.A.S.

We are hiring persons who have graduated with an architecture degree and are looking to work outside a traditional architectural office.  While in school (B.Arch 2010), I was interested in technological applications within the architectural/built environment.  I was really into the concepts of parametric design/scripting as well as the tools/machines to realize the 3d model as a tangible object. I have helped teach some digital design/fabrication classes and really enjoyed the somewhat "think-tank" atmosphere that it created amongst like-minded people who just wanted to create things and figure out how to approach the construction process.  I am now the Design Director of a facade design/fabrication sub-contractor.  Its a different approach utilizing the skill set that I acquired in school.  If you have interest in digital design/fabrication and want to live in Florida, check out our ad on the "Jobs" page.

Nov 7, 12 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

The big Question is do you Hire People with out a Degree....but years and years of Architectural experience?

Nov 7, 12 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

what was your undergrad?

awww see, boys and girls, i mf told you so....

Nov 7, 12 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

also, binary, you're full of shit.

on three separate occasions  my ability to produce a decent image (photoshop + max + vray skills) has been more of a liability than an asset.

try spending an hour with a principal who knows nothing of revit, trying to explain that you can detail a complete curtain wall for a 50 story high-rise, and also dish out good conceptual designs and pull out marketing renderings on the fly.

for a while, i wondered if i should have just shat on my portfolio before sending it out.

then it all worked out.

and i figured out how to talk to people.

and how to turn around an interview.

omfg multiple skills. who'd have fucking thought.

Nov 7, 12 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

and i figured out how to talk to people.

i'm pretty sure this did not happen.

Nov 8, 12 7:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: