Archinect
anchor

Electrical scope of work

BlueMoon

Question: Partial apartment renovation in NYC. Need to determine if we are changing more than 20% of electrical. How to go about it?
Should I calculate area of work and if it is grater than 20% of total apartment square footage? Or, should I count all of the existing electrical outlets, switches, lighting fixtures, electrical panels, etc. and then to determine if we change more than 20% of those?...

Mar 2, 11 3:41 pm
mdler

as long as you arent changing more than 20%, you're fine...

Mar 2, 11 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Use extension cords.

Mar 2, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

... ummm... this is what the question is: HOW should I determine if I am changing 20%???

Mar 2, 11 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Use measuring tape.

Mar 2, 11 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if you are changing more than 20%, you probably have to pay more $$$ in permit fees. Therefore, you are changing less than 20%

Mar 2, 11 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

I'm with mdler, just go with 'less'

I would say you could go with cost. Determine approx cost of original electrical scope for that unit, and then determine whether or not your reno is more or less than 20% of that. You may want to work backwards if you have a rough idea of how much the electrical portion of your [reno] project is.

Good luck.

Mar 3, 11 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
... ummm... this is what the question is: HOW should I determine if I am changing 20%???

ask the building department how they define changes in electrical

Mar 3, 11 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

Thank you!

It certainly would make sense to ask electrical engineer, if project budget would permit to hire a consultant. But we already run a risk of client reducing scope of work to changing finishes and kitchen only.

But what you have said makes perfect sense, and since we are adding just 4 new electrical outlets and 5 lighting fixtures, we are good in terms of electrical load.

Mar 3, 11 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: