Archinect
anchor

book recommendations on real estate development?

l3wis

do any archinectors have suggestions for books pertaining to real estate development? preferably something that approaches the field in a way that an architect or planner would find interesting...

Mar 1, 11 11:21 am
Rusty!

start with the basics.

Mar 1, 11 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Rusty, that was mean.

Jk, I don't know of any.

Mar 1, 11 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

"Land Development" by Daisy Linda Kone

Mar 1, 11 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dangit, Urbanity, you're messing up maniacal plan to have my name on all the first page posts at once.

Mar 1, 11 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

ULI has some great books.

Others:

Real Estate Development: Workbook and Manual
A Complete Guide to Financing Real Estate Developments

There are tons of them. All very, very boring. The ULI books at least have color and pretty pictures (most of the others are cheaply made, expensive and notta one picture!).

Oh, you said "interesting". Never mind.

Mar 2, 11 9:29 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

ha. thanks trace.

Mar 2, 11 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

95% of

Mar 2, 11 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

err 95% of them will tell you to reference local planning and zoning laws.

Combine that with a knowledge of taxation, infrastructure costs and 'available resources.' The 'available resource' part is the materials and labor-- I'm sure that you already know much about that.

The tricky part, the other 5%, is financing and sustaining developments.

The book I suggest on that is "Real estate development: principles and process, Miles, Berens. Urban Land Institute." This book is probably the most comprehensive and generalist approach to making the numbers work.

Mar 2, 11 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

glitter do you live in nyc

Mar 2, 11 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Nope. I can ULURP all day long though.

Mar 2, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
waduk

sorry for out of topic

I have this book

Real Estate Development: Workbook and Manual

by Howard A Zuckerman

but i have lost my Procedural Matrix Diagram sheet.

Any Help?

Jul 14, 11 5:52 am  · 
 · 
trace™

You are in luck my friend!  Email me and I'll send it.

And who says Archinect isn't a super help!?

Jul 14, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 
waduk

thanks trace please send to [email protected]

i realy apreciate it.....

many thanks...

It is super help

Jul 25, 11 4:56 am  · 
 · 
waduk

thanks trace please send to [email protected]

i realy apreciate it.....

many thanks...

It is super help

Jul 25, 11 4:59 am  · 
 · 
trace™

sent

Jul 25, 11 8:32 am  · 
 · 
backbay

anyone know of non-textbook books on development that are any good?

Jul 25, 11 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

You mean ones with pretty pictures?  Please explain...

Most of the books I've found are mostly text, very few photos.  ULI's books have some good images and print quality, though.  

Jul 26, 11 8:18 am  · 
 · 
lviera

I am also looking for the Procedural Matrix Diagram sheet from Real Estate Development: Workbook and Manual by Howard A Zuckerman.  Would Trace or waduk please send - [email protected]?

Nov 23, 12 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Howardzuckerman

For those architects that want to learn the art of real estate development, visit: www.iredi.net Howard Zuckerman Author: Real Estate Development & Investment THE INSTITUTE OF REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT & INVESTMENT 678-517-3033

Jul 17, 13 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

The Power Broker, Robert Moses and the Fall of New York. 

Jul 17, 13 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
DJ7910

JK,

Looks like you've got a bit a feedback from everyone.  

I have 10+ yrs in Architecture and went on to complete a graduate course in RE Dev and unfortunately timing wasn't good, as I completed it in spring of '08.  But that a huge life lesson in the Architecture & RE Dev game.  

Since graduating- I've been buying, renovating a renting (5 homes) in my area over the past few years ( I do everything- prospect, finance, remodel, rent, manage....means getting dirty).  

Just now I'm getting the banks to realize I have skin in the game and I'm getting funding to build some infill houses.  In a couple of years I hope to step up to some larger projects- mix use.  RE Dev is glacial and more so when you are paddling the boat on your own.  I would love to join up with a mid size or large developer and work as a PM, which would speed up the learning curve.

All I can say is, there are plenty of low cost learning approaches available and getting a graduate degree isn't always the best approach.  Getting an RE or Contractors License and getting the street smarts in addition to the books (library or used books) might serve you better.  ULI and BOMA are great resources, but you'll probably start w/ smaller projects.  

If you want to spend some $ and want to get some education from a Architect Developer, take a look at Jonathan Seagal in San Diego.  He's been living the Arch/Dev life for the last 10+ years and seems to know what it takes to be in the game.

http://www.jonathansegalarchitect.com/

https://www.architectasdeveloper.com/

Keep your day job.

Remember- Going big, most often means going broke for the nuub's.

Good luck.

Jul 18, 13 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: