Archinect
anchor

Sick of looking at portfolios?

I sure hope not!! Finally finished my portfolio of my undergraduate work. I'll be using this to hopefully obtain an internship in the seattle and/or california areas.
Let me know what you think! feedback is most welcome

http://issuu.com/nmgeller/docs/grad_portfolio_final

Feb 21, 11 11:44 pm
Rusty!

Aww, noone's responding.

It looks pretty good. Hand drawings need to go to the back of the bus, no matter how handsome they are.

The Australia project is also a bit of a space waster. Cool that you travelled and all, but all you got to show for it seems to be a 4-hour twig umbrella. To the back of the bus.

Demountable classroom is a cool project that needs to be shown sooner.

Good luck with west coast internships.

Feb 22, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i'd agree with rusty..it almost seems like the portfolio has been posted backwards.

Feb 22, 11 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

I agree with rusty - the hand drawings would be better in the back in a "misc" section - same with the Australia work - its interesting but probably not relevant enough to most reviewers.

Since you don't have any other internships to show in your resume, might be nice if you had other examples of "technical" drawings to show such as wall sections, details, etc. (if you have any) - this might help convince your prospective employers that they wont be spending their first few months with you teaching you the basics of construction documents?

Overall impression was a nice portfolio, visually intersting without getting too "cute"

Feb 22, 11 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

Thanks for the feedback! after thinking about it I have to say that I agree about the order or my projects. I went back and reordered some things, let me know if you like the changes.

Feb 22, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think the reordering is good.. i also agree that the australia thing is a bit light.. could you post some relevant pictures or something?
the map is a full page and although it has some info on it..it's not that much.

i just looked at the resume...
1. blockbuster belongs nowhere near a professional architecture resume imo. you don't have to list EVERY job you've ever had... i think volunteer work shows more about you as a person.

2. high school is also not relevant..this should be college and up

if you got rid of these two items i think you could combine everything into a single column and add some description of what experience you got at your internship or what the awards actually mean... i.e. was everyone a finalist of the ICMA awards or were you one of 5 out of 100 contestants? i think the more impressive it can sound the better.

also with the size of the page and the size of the font it kind of looks like you're trying to make yourself look impressive without providing the meat... like making a homework assignment double spaced and increasing the margins...it doesn't fool anyone. you may be weak on experience, but i think you can at least describe the experience to make it a positive for someone looking to hire you.

Feb 22, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
metal

change that font son!
its too big and unelegant

Feb 22, 11 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

I know most on here will say that the actual content trumps graphic layout, type choices, print design, etc. which is generally true, so take what I say with a very large grain of salt......

BUT, your portfolio looks like an undergrad architecture portfolio. And I don't mean that in a good sense. Seriously, your aesthetic comparables are cheesy corporate powepoints and geocities websites circa 1998. Definitely not the clean, professional, or refined look I'd be going for.
Spend a little more time looking at your favourite architecture books, magazines, newspapers, advertisements, exhibition catalogues, etc... You don't have to emulate them, just understand what it is about them that makes them successful and present the content well.

Sorry if that came across too harsh, but I felt I needed to say something.
Best of luck going forward!

Feb 22, 11 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

what iamgray is saying to you, is that you're not enough of an egotistical narcissist to ever succeed in this profession if you're not using font de jour.

I think most of your pages are thoughtfully laid out, and are easy to follow.

"cheesy corporate powepoints and geocities websites circa 1998"

I just don't see it...

Feb 22, 11 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I liked seeing the South Lake Union project; funny that Ball State has a project in Seattle

Have you started looking for jobs in Seattle?

Feb 22, 11 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

mdler: Ball State didn't have a project in Seattle haha. I found that site on my own by contacting the Seattle Design Commission, Ball State had a crappy site picked out in the suburbs of Portland.

I've started compiling a list of firms in Seattle that I'm going to start seriously contacting after I work out some final kinks in the portfolio. I have a few contacts through my sister who works at the Bellevue Art Museum, but no serious conversations as of yet. Know any firms that might be interested?

fade to blackoe: after talking to some other people it seems I have lost the font battle, so I am currently looking for some fonts that work better. Any suggestions would be great.

Feb 23, 11 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

nmgeller88

Unfortunately, the Seattle market is like many right now; I dont know what the intern needs are.

You may want to check out companies here that have design departments (Starbucks, Eddie Bauer, Nordstrom, etc) as well, as they may have internships as well

Im sure that Holzbox has more to say about the Seattle scene

Feb 23, 11 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

nmgeller88

Unfortunately, the Seattle market is like many right now; I dont know what the intern needs are.

You may want to check out companies here that have design departments (Starbucks, Eddie Bauer, Nordstrom, etc) as well, as they may have internships as well

Im sure that Holzbox has more to say about the Seattle scene

Feb 23, 11 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

who is the hottie with windblown hair on page 18, BTW?

Feb 23, 11 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

mder: haha shes one of the student's who went to Australia with me and sorry but she's taken hahaha

as far as my portfolio goes, I redid all the text, choosing fonts I'm a little happier with, let me know what you all think

Feb 24, 11 11:58 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

scale everything down to 75% of it's current size on pages 1-22 (especially all the text, it will give you more white space to allow for a bit more balance and composition, right now everything seems crammed onto the pages. You should be fine with your sentence/paragraph font size being 10pts max, you may be able to go down to 8pts...

Take away the black outlines around your drawings on the latter pages...

You seem to be block justifying some type and left justifying others...in many of your cases the left justified text don't look very clean...

Feb 24, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

nmgeller88,

regarding your hot friend on page 18...

most ladies who are taken have a change of mind when they learn who the bottom half is

Feb 24, 11 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields
Feb 24, 11 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

hahaha damn mdler very nice, that may be a game changer haha

Feb 24, 11 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mmgeller88

if you only knew, my friend...if you only knew

Feb 25, 11 12:29 am  · 
 · 
mdler

mmgeller88

if you only knew, my friend...if you only knew

Feb 25, 11 12:30 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Overall I like it.

Only thing I don't like is the huge map of AUS/NZ with the text and that taking two pages. (11/12).

While it is interesting to show that you studied abroad, to me it seems a bit weird that that map/introductory text takes so much space as a regular project (2 pages). Plus the Boat/Airpline/"I visited whatever in NZ" is funky but it seems to much like a Lonely Planet guide... and it is just an architectural/design portfolio. If I would read that, I would feel like this is a naive/overexcited student that has enjoyed his time in AUS and wants to show it. And that's not bad (it is your first internship, not a Senior Architect role)... and any prospective employer may find cool that you are well-travelled and interested in other cultures... but that's all; it is not a skill to show... definitely I don't think they would care that you travelled Sydney-Auckland by boat or plane . I understand that you are trying to show your graphic design skills there but it seems a bit out of place for me.

Dunno, I would rethink that part... to somehow fit it in 1 page and to more concentrate on the skills (personal/team work/different ways/techniques of designing/building) that you learnt there.

Feb 25, 11 3:46 am  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

To emphasize what was said earlier. Not sure why you think you need to include high school and prep school. It is just taking up a bunch of space. I think your work is solid and this portfolio is graphically adequate. I am actually going to respectfully agree with IamGray. While I think this portfolio presents yourself as a competent entry level employee it is definitely not showing off any graphic design skills, a skill that is very marketable.

Keep your portfolio for now, but take some time over the next few months to complete redo it. It will definitely be worth the energy.

You may want to consider consolidating your drawings, none of them are good enough to show that you can draw any better than an average architecture student and as such I don't think they warrant 4 pages. Not saying you should jettison them, just consolidate. I am partial to sketches in portfolios, no matter how mediocre. Definitely get rid of the black outlines though.

All in all, good portfolio, I think you could definitely lad a job with it!

Feb 25, 11 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
but take some time over the next few months to complete redo it.

All in all, good portfolio, I think you could definitely lad a job with it!"

errr

daddy beats me because he loves me.

Feb 25, 11 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
syp

I agree with "IamGray" and "msmit106". The portfolio doesn't look refined graphically.

Moreover, although as undergraduate's portfolio it seems okay, the South Lake Union school project isn't the best project in your portfolio. The project seems to me a conjunction of 3~4 different projects in a clumsy way, and interior spaces look too traditional considering its super structure.

And if you know well about rendering skills, re-consider about rendering tone and contrast and colors. All renderings look too dull and "heavy". Also composition is too rigid and cramped.

Feb 25, 11 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

rustystuds...the portfolio is good because it exhibits a coherent body of work that conveys architectural competence to the prospective employer. It needs to be redone because its graphically immature.

Feb 25, 11 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

rustystuds...the portfolio is good because it exhibits a coherent body of work that conveys architectural competence to the prospective employer. It needs to be redone because its graphically immature.

Feb 25, 11 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

But than again I'm just an egotistical narcissist who only likes the font de jour.

Feb 25, 11 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

"graphically immature"

Technically, there is no wrong or right "standard" for graphics.

Feb 25, 11 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"But than again I'm just an egotistical narcissist who only likes the font de jour."

haha

Aren't we all? I'm only a lowly green belt in it though...

I'm still puzzled by the overwhelmingly negative responses to his layouts. They look more than fine to me. Is it because the format is square? Is that throwing everyone off? Squares should be reserved for children's booklets and oversized coffe table books (that turn into a coffe table).

glitter is right about graphical 'standards' being highly subjective.

Feb 25, 11 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Seriously I am not very pious about graphics, its super subjective and ultra dated, not unlike fashion. Its difficult for us architects to stay current on such a fickle field. 90 % of architecture portfolios I see are not very graphically current (with exception of my own, which would blow your mind, it is so good, I mean seriously, it would blow your mind). If you try to get me to define what "current" is, well, I won't be able to deliver. Our reactions are highly visceral. Here is a good website that I use for inspiration - designspiration.net. It has a nice range of graphic style to pool from, you can even search by color. (seriously, my portfolio would BLOW YOUR MIND)

Feb 25, 11 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Seriously I am not very pious about graphics, its super subjective and ultra dated, not unlike fashion. Its difficult for us architects to stay current on such a fickle field. 90 % of architecture portfolios I see are not very graphically current (with exception of my own, which would blow your mind, it is so good, I mean seriously, it would blow your mind). If you try to get me to define what "current" is, well, I won't be able to deliver. Our reactions are highly visceral. Here is a good website that I use for inspiration - designspiration.net. It has a nice range of graphic style to pool from, you can even search by color. (seriously, my portfolio would BLOW YOUR MIND)

Feb 25, 11 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: