Archinect
anchor

MAX rendering tutorials

traced

know of any good ones? I know there are tons out there, but I figured I would ask first. I am trying to make the switch from form Z to MAX as painless as possible.

Nov 17, 04 5:09 pm
French

Mmm... do you feel like learning mental ray, will you just use the scanline renderer or will you look for a third party renderer?

Nov 17, 04 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

It'll be painful. I am using Max everyday and I still yell at it! COPY PASTE why won't it work???!!!! Can't move more than one object's vertices??? WHAT???!!

Hmmm, I'd just go through Discreet's tutorials, go to CG Talk and search for 'architecture' (sorry, I am tired).

You have to stop thinking about making quick walls and don't rely on boolean operations. Think LINE > ADD MORE LINES > EXTRUDE. It's slow and painful, but it works. The modifier stack is quite nice, though, and allows you to adjust the poly count if you need more/less.

If you are using Max 7, the Edit Poly modifier is your friend.

My advice, stick with FMZ for modeling buildings and use Max for modeling furniture and rendering/animating.

Nov 18, 04 12:18 am  · 
 · 
French

Man I need to try form z. Everybody seems to think it's the easiest program to model. Why do you say "Can't move more than one object's vertices???", trace? I've never faced this problem I think. In terms of modelling, it is true that the boolean operations in max are just useless though. But still, you can stick to form z for modelling, as trace is suggesting, and use max as a rendering program. If you do so, the first thing you need to do is to compare the different global illumination programs on the platform. You can stick to the integrated mental ray renderer, very efficient but very difficult to use and slow, or choose one of the rendering plug-ins available, and only then start with tutorials, since they all behave quite differently.

Nov 18, 04 5:06 am  · 
 · 
Pete

Some say Form Z is the shit...others say SkecthUp is the bomb. Don't have an answer yet

Nov 18, 04 7:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: