Archinect
anchor

school letter of rec. for work

archict

Hi there

I have 2 letter of rec for grad school, and they both have good content.

I am currently looking for a job as well, but too hesitant to ask for another letter of rec for work. I got a feeling that my referees would not be willing to give another one.

I am wondering if it is appropriate for me to use them to apply work. In the letter, it is specifically mentioned that the letter is to support my application for grad school. But what matter is the content right?

Looking forward to hear your opinion guys!

THANKS

Feb 1, 11 4:24 pm

never heard of needing one for work... and if it specifically says grad school probably isn't appropriate

Feb 1, 11 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

we are all currently looking for a job

Feb 1, 11 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Would only help you if the person(s) worked in the same place you are applying to, otherwise, don't even bother. Employers don't care that you received a gold star and a smiley face for completing a course.

Feb 1, 11 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
archict

Hi guys, thanks yall for the opinions.

Well, one of the rec letter is from employer (stating my quality of work, etc), and the other one is from a lecturer (stating my behaviour / performance at uni). Both reference proves my capability that I state in my resume.

So, still no?

again, thanks for the reply!

Feb 1, 11 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
archict

i mean.. ex-employer.

Feb 1, 11 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

You can have a family member write you a letter of rec and it's still not gunna help you. Although I do have a friend that his mom wrote him a letter as a joke yet employers didn't even bother to look or comment. Eventually he got hired and had ask if the letters of rec help him land the job but they said they didn't even glance at it.

Feb 1, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
+i

Letters from employers or past employers are NOT recommendations, they're references. That said, when I was laid off from a big firm in '09 I had a principal and associate both be a reference for me & my job search. We had a wonderful professional relationship & it certainly helped in my job search when future employers saw that I did not leave my old firm on bad terms (even though I was angry I was laid off, it was the result of projects stopping from financing). Employers want to know that you have a network in your profession. Both of my references gave glowing reviews on the phone and in writing when needed from prospective employers.

Do NOT use letters of recommendations as references. They are not the same thing. If you have professional relationships from places of employment within the profession- kindly let them know you are searching for a position and ask if they would give you a positive review if asked as a reference. If not, keep calm and carry on.

Feb 2, 11 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: