Archinect
anchor

oh looky: AIA Seattle is sh*tting on unemployed non-licensed/interns again!

holz.box
Today large numbers of design professionals are competing for jobs, making it easy for talented individuals to fly under the radar of potential clients and employers. Additionally, offline contact is a rare occurrence in today's digital age.

To meet this challenge, AIA Seattle's Design Gallery will feature an exhibition of the illustrated "design resumes" of AIA Seattle members and nonmembers. Each piece will include work samples by and contact information for the design professional.

This exhibition will be viewable by the public February 1 - 11, Tuesday through Friday, 10am-5pm.

Submissions are welcome from licensed architects only. Design guidelines are provided here. AIA members are invited to display one 24" x 18" panel, in landscape orientation. Non-members are invited to display one 11" x 17" panel, in portrait orientation.

If printing costs are prohibitive, AIA members may choose instead to submit two (2) 17" x 11" panels in landscape orientation, utilizing AIA Seattle's color printer for printing. To take advantage of this offer, please email your panels in PDF format. Otherwise, bring your printed panel(s) to the AIA Seattle office during the week of Monday, January 31.

Space is limited, and submissions will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.

talk about out of touch...

does AIA Seattle think that unlicensed AIA members or interns are not 'professionals'?

are employers only looking to hire licensed architects?

do unlicensed AIA members not deserve exposure?

should the AIA open up submissions to all architects/interns/designers who are unemployed, and end their discriminatory practices?

or should we all jump wagon and hang our hats with the arch 5 cents guy.

discuss...

Jan 28, 11 7:59 pm
druf

AIA is the professional organization of Architects. To be a a member of AIA, you have to be a licensed Architect. The people who pay hundreds of dollars a year to fund the organization with membership dues are Architects. Is it surprising that the AIA would limit entries to the people who their primary mission is to serve and represent? The only thing surprising is that it is open to non-AIA Architects also. They must be trying to help people that may have been unable to afford the membership costs, due to unemployment.

On another note, this would seem like an interesting opportunity to see a wide range of work that is going on in the local chapter; and connect the faces with what they have worked on. I'd like to see my chapter do something similar.

Jan 28, 11 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the whole 18x24 landscape member versus 11x17 portrait non-member is just bizarre and the exclusion of non-registered interns seems short-sighted (there are non-registered assoc. aia members, you know) but i agree with druf, it does seem like a good opportunity to see a large amount of work displayed away from our office cubicles. the concept is good; execution a little odd.

Jan 28, 11 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
To be a a member of AIA, you have to be a licensed Architect.

errr, not true.

CATEGORIES OF MEMBERSHIP

Associates

Individuals not licensed to practice architecture, but meeting one (or more) of the following conditions:
* Hold a professional degree in architecture
* Participate in career responsibilities recognized by licensing authorities as constituting credit toward licensure (interns)
* Work under the supervision of an architect in a professional or technical capacity
* Serve as faculty member in a university program in architecture
Individuals who graduate from an accredited school of architecture in 20067 or 2008, and who meet the above requirements for Associate Membership, are eligible for a discounted membership rate through December 2008. A copy of your degree is required with membership application.

associate dues are $203 for 2011.

AIA Seattle's paid members include a number of unlicensed architects and interns.

Jan 28, 11 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
distant

If you think this approach is inappropriate, why not contact the leadership of AIA Seattle and express your concerns directly to them? Otherwise, this thread is little more than a public ambush.

Jan 28, 11 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

"Otherwise, this thread is little more than a public ambush."

And that's a problem? Maybe not the best form but complaints rarely get resolved unless the general public is made aware of them.

Jan 29, 11 12:47 am  · 
 · 
trace™

"Public ambush" That's kinda funny! No, that is funny.

Not surprising and the reasoning is noted already. Why wouldn't they be biased to people that are paying members? They are a "business" first and foremost.

It does seem like a good way to get exposure, though. I'd write them a letter, or get people to sign something. It does seem odd that they'd exclude non licensed people (as there will be tons and tons that can't get their idp with the current economy).

Write something about how they are being biased against the younger crowd, etc., etc.

I am surprised that they even give AIA awards to non members in the first place. But they are a dying breed, so they need to try to control whatever they can. This is, more or less, an example of that.

Jan 29, 11 10:12 am  · 
 · 

holz, i love you, but i think you're interpreting an intentional slight where there's only a failure to acknowledge the value of interns - an oversight.

like distant suggested, contact your local chapter leadership and find out if there is an interest in an associated exhibit of non-licensed professionals - whether integrated with the rest OR as a sidebar. (a sidebar exhibit might get this group more attention, even, than if it was merged together.)

IF they're not interested, maybe organize your own guerilla exhibit. here in louisville there's an annual art fair - the normal consumer art booths lining the street with hand-tinted photographs and birdhouses that don't challenge anyone too much. some young artists who can't seem to break their way into this scene have organized their own deal right outside the 'official' fair. it's called the 'un-fair', and it's developed it's own dedicated following. and the art's better.

Jan 29, 11 11:26 am  · 
 · 

Louisville is such a freaking cool city. The UnFair - brilliant.

Jan 29, 11 11:34 am  · 
 · 
jcarch

This seems blown way out of proportion to me...it seems to me the point of the exhibition is to expose the public to architect's work, in the hope that a few architects would get commissions out of this.

Including people in the exhibition who are not licensed would not be in the interest of this aim.

You should contact them with the idea of having a separate event/exhibition aimed at hooking up potential employees with employers.

Jan 29, 11 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You can participate, but we're going to ask you to keep it small, mkay?

Jan 29, 11 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

Seems like an oversight of the chapter; you'd think unlicensed people would also want some kind of exposure. Unless they're looking to have the general public over to shop for freelancers, in which case it's a step up from having someone advertising on Craigslist for an architect to design their beach mansion for $750.

When I was up there, the AIA Seattle seemed pretty open to comment and participation by everyone in the design community (I was impressed, at least). I'd second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) the recommendation to go and talk to the people who put the program together; it seems like an oversight on their part that would be fairly easily corrected.

Jan 29, 11 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

...as an addendum, I'd go for a second all-inclusive 'design exhibition' that includes non-licensed people as a way of showcasing the things that design can address. Reading further into it, it does seem like this is a way for architects to gain commissions (as opposed to finding employees).

Actually, I thought the Seattle AIA was really very good in terms of providing support to unemployed architects and intern-architects, all things considered. They have the job board/resume board, the unemployed-support-group, a software training series sometimes, functions where the architecture community can come together, et cetera, et cetera...I was really impressed with them as a chapter. If only more chapters had similar levels of involvement...

Jan 29, 11 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i wonder what people think about this competition?

videotect

as someone that had some input into the above competition, i am a bit flummoxed by the inclusion of teenagers. i don't understand it really.

the aia - local chapters - have usually been inclusive, but this level inclusiveness is rather, um, i don't know, trying too hard?

Jan 29, 11 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Holz

Who hangs out in Belltown anyways???

Jan 30, 11 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: