Archinect
anchor

my model for understanding 1 park ave. by Smith Gordon Architecture

archNRE

I am curious how the whole massing work out for this tower "1 park avenue" by Smith gordon architecture. Please check out my sketch clay model and let me know if I played it right or not.

Thanks for all the comments.
[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QCnFr0VqVh4/TUM8oGpLG8I/AAAAAAAAAME/yVmk5aj7utw/s1600/1parkave2.jpg
[/img]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QCnFr0VqVh4/TUM8rTqrHAI/AAAAAAAAAMM/r0cuL9Vxx-c/s1600/1parkave3.jpg
[/img]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QCnFr0VqVh4/TUM8uvXm_cI/AAAAAAAAAMU/qEX23s6ZCV0/s1600/1parkave.jpg
[/img]

Jan 28, 11 5:03 pm
archNRE

Sorry. Here again:

Jan 28, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

My model. My major question is for their mega columns. Is this tower using three columns? Is model right?

Jan 28, 11 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

Jan 28, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE
Jan 28, 11 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

[img\http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QCnFr0VqVh4/TUNAoyGnD0I/AAAAAAAAAMs/7zqpepPoKqs/s1600/SGAA_parkAveClay03.JPG[/img]

Jan 28, 11 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE
Jan 28, 11 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

is that a dildo?

Jan 28, 11 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Spliner

"Please check out my sketch clay model and let me know if I played it right or not."

I guess it depends how you intend to play with it.

Jan 28, 11 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yeah this has to be a joke...

Jan 28, 11 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

looks about right, but the structure is also supported by cylindrical objects located around the base...lol

Jan 28, 11 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Ahw...too be young and naive again.

Jan 29, 11 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

cockatecture! it must be a building in London they have many dildo buildings!

Jan 29, 11 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Unlikely that it is three columns. Look at what they did with Chicago trump.

Jan 29, 11 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Considering that the firm that designed this also designed the Burj Al Arab, I'm going to assume its a series of interior and perimeter columns, a massive elevator core and the exterior waves are probably bracing similar to that used in the hotel.

In the Burj Al Arab, the exterior exoskeleton is only there really to hold up the facade that encloses the 600ft something atrium, provides support for the rather useless spire-like structure on top and holds down the fabric exterior.

It seems to be an undulating cylinder with a round top and these three ribbons pasted on the side.

Jan 30, 11 1:21 am  · 
 · 
archNRE

A single plan could reveal all the mystery.

Jan 30, 11 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Maybe if you guys had taken part in the only High Rise Thesis program in the world, it would not be a mistery, but it was shut down by the dean at IIT. Carry on.

Jan 30, 11 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

When did it happen, creativity expert? After David sharp retired? I think that is for good. Stupid program with inexperienced professors.

Jan 31, 11 12:39 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

archNre,
Were you in that program? because you don't know what you are talking about, though I detect some bitterness in you , which was common among those that failed to learn or failed out.

Jan 31, 11 3:12 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Im sorry archnre,

I didn't post my initial comment as an insult to you, as I have seen your questions that you have posted, it is obvious to me that you did not even go to IIT, or if you did I don't think you learned much, but you shouldn't blame your professors in any case, from any college, because you get what you put into it. I'd be happy to discuss high rise towers with you if you are in the Chicago area, as I'm sure that the Professor you insulted would, even now he has an open door policy, he is one of the most talented, passionate, knowledgeable and to boot he is a really nice guy, I don't know why anyone would call IIT's program stupid or inexperienced, Take a good look at what SOM has done over the years, even recently, and now has spilled over to the very office you talk about smith-gill, all of those projects started out as thesis projects at the very same program you are chastising.

Jan 31, 11 3:36 am  · 
 · 
archNRE

CE: Will you make an example like what building criteria was created in IIT then spread to SOM and Smith Gordon Architecture?

Jan 31, 11 10:05 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

So, let me get this straight you want me to explain to you, for free, something that I payed over a hundred thousand dollars to learn? Well I'll tell you what, if you are in Chicago, email me, and I'll see about setting up a meeting between us and the maestro at IIT. Can you give me a little background on your education? have you graduated? are you licensed? that way I can possibly convince him to see you.

It would be very presumptous of me to lay out as you put it "building criteria for tall buildings" that IIT has researched for over 60 years, I would be lying to you if I told you I was an expert. I have a solid foundation, that area of tall building design, but it takes a lifetime to become a master.

Jan 31, 11 10:50 am  · 
 · 
archNRE

Just a simple question, what the research result from IIT has been brought to SOM recently. Why it is secret? I guess you mean the findings on technical area like twisted profile or core arrangement.

btw, Who is maestro? Is he a professor?

Jan 31, 11 11:22 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

if you dont want to meet in person, the only other thing I recommend is that you do research on your own, starting with the history of tall buildings in Chicago going all the way back to LeBaron Jenney. As far as IIT's high rise program, i can say that it was always on the cutting edge.

One reason I don't want to teach is that Im not really a teacher, im more of a do er, but you have a point, in some sense, what I learned was quite unique knowledge and there are things people can only learn by having taken part in the experience. I think that tradition of secrecy goes back to biblical times archnre, it's nothing new.

Ps. Meastro, is spanish for Professor or teacher, i was referring to the guy you insulted earlier. Its kind of a term of respect.

Jan 31, 11 11:36 am  · 
 · 
archNRE

If you are a doer, then I assume you understand my original question and knows how to solve it? Are there three mega columns this design is using. To show you I am not bullshit, I will model it for two nights and post it. It is up to you if you want to tell me what is your understanding. This is a challenge for me.

Jan 31, 11 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

to be honest i have a lot of things going on right now, kind of busy.

Jan 31, 11 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Masetro is Italian for "master" or "teacher." It comes from the Latin word "magister." Although "master" is technically correct in this sense because in the medieval guild system, one had to become a master in order to teach.

In any term, maestro is denotes a primary school teacher in Spanish. A college teacher (professor) is a profesor or profesora.

Jan 31, 11 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

BAM. I was right.

Jan 31, 11 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

ok mr unicorn

Jan 31, 11 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

In my case I used it to mean "master builder"

Jan 31, 11 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

That would be capomastro (italian), maestro de obras (spanish) or maître d'œuvre (french).

Jan 31, 11 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

well in english, Master builder means Master builder.

Jan 31, 11 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Judging by your comma splices, lecturing nature and resistance to the status quo...

... you must be Don Quixote.

Going to flip your dipper and go on a giant neo-con backwoods-militia rampage again?

Jan 31, 11 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

a militia what? so anyways what have you figured out about the building? when a few posts ago you said you were right?

Jan 31, 11 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

let poor archnre, in on it instead of showing us your mastery of using google.com, to look up terms. So, you think that only don quixote had a lecturing nature, in all of archinect land?

Jan 31, 11 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

"Considering that the firm that designed this also designed the Burj Al Arab, I'm going to assume its a series of interior and perimeter columns, a massive elevator core and the exterior waves are probably bracing similar to that used in the hotel.

In the Burj Al Arab, the exterior exoskeleton is only there really to hold up the facade that encloses the 600ft something atrium, provides support for the rather useless spire-like structure on top and holds down the fabric exterior.

It seems to be an undulating cylinder with a round top and these three ribbons pasted on the side. "

НЕ ЛЕЗЬ КО МНЕ!

Jan 31, 11 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Look up terms? I know how to speak basic french, spanish and I know my way around latin.

If you're going to use foreign language for emphasis or condescendingly, you should not be such a crétin fini about it.

Jan 31, 11 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

uxbridge,
you really got to get a life outside of patrolling archinect blogs.

Jan 31, 11 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

Uxbridge: Thanks for the picture! Do you have more to share?

Jan 31, 11 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

No. Trying googling for "one park ave dubai model" et cetera.

From what I've found is that the project seems to be permanently on hold. Smith Gordon and SOM have removed it from their websites and it's hard to find much on it.

Other than the renders and a few scale models, I don't think much work has been done on it. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any promotional floor plans (rentals, sales or leases) that would reveal a little bit more about the interior structure.

However, the model pictures seem to show off a little of what's going on in the inside.

Jan 31, 11 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

That is what I thought too. This project was originally for a site in china. Chinese client somehow didn't use it, so they used it in dubai.

Jan 31, 11 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

"1 Park Avenue (at left), another mixed-use tower that would rise about 1,800 feet, its undulating form evoking Dubai’s heritage of pearl trading. The project would contain more than 4 million square feet of offices, condominiums, apartments and hotel rooms. Excavation has begun, Smith said."

by A. Smith.

I highly doubt the rear side view. That one giant column down from 1800' high to the bottom. Although it is undulating, it looks like a hammer to someone's nose. No wonder the Chinese don't like it.

Jan 31, 11 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

As I promised, here I post my model. It was a very quick process. After finishing it, I found I set up the lower level plan too large, the top part too small. Interesting programming arrangement since normally the top levels only contain condos, the floor area should be much smaller than the lower part which contain office.

Also as I guessed, this design uses two mega columns on the back. They merged into one on the top.

Feb 1, 11 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Spliner

ArchNRE - you've actually guessed it wrong.  Tower is completely tri-symmetrical in plan.  There is no back.

May 13, 11 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: