Archinect
anchor

Building on a Los Angeles Hillside

wurdan freo

Anyone have experience building in the Hills around Echo park and Silver lake. I would be interested to know what I can expect regarding sewer connections. Do I have to blast? What is typical soil depth?

Can anyone recommend a soils engineer? or Contractor who has done this work?

Jan 27, 11 11:43 am
aldorossi

Much.

Check out Navigate LA for sewer locations.

Bedrock is generally shallow, but watch out for downslope lots as often the street cutting pushed fill towards the downhill side of the street. Even though bedrock is shallow, friction piles can end up being deep because of the bearing capacity of the bedrock. "Bedrock" in this area often means consolidated decomposed granite: I've never had to blast in LA.

E-mail me: I'll get you referrals for Geotech and Contractors.

Jan 27, 11 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

what rossi said.. never had to blast either. i don't think it is even allowed. it is a dense urban environment. most of the time dg is easily jackhammered.

Jan 27, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

water drainage can cause problems if not planned well.

Jan 27, 11 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Wow! Who would have guessed? Piles on a mountain.

Thanks for your input.

Jan 27, 11 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

talk to Tony

Jan 27, 11 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Tony?

Jan 27, 11 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Tony at

www.unruhboyer.com

he's your guy

Jan 28, 11 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

tony unruh forever!

Jan 28, 11 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

the most decent guy in business...

Jan 28, 11 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

he is a super hero!

off topic/side note: if you open tony's site it maximizes your browser. i can't stand that 'specially with these fancy wide screen monitors these days so is there any way to set things up so sites like tony's don't re-size your window?

Jan 28, 11 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

If you use Firefox:

Tools -> Options -> Content tab -> Click advanced next to Enable Javascipt -> Uncheck allow websites to resize windows

Jan 29, 11 12:52 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

thank you (that did it)!!!

in addition to Tony, Uxbridge is a super hero!

Jan 29, 11 2:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: