Archinect
anchor

Job Market in Seattle

Mr. Astaire

I'm thinking about moving to Seattle but I'm hesitant b/c of the job market. It was tough to finally find a job in NYC so I can imagine a smaller market like Seattle would be even harder.

Looking and applying online to firms outside of my NY has yielded little results. Can anyone tell me how Seattle compares to other major areas as far as job opportunities??

Jan 25, 11 8:05 am
holz.box

last i heard, NYC and LA were doing better than seattle.

holz is contemplating jumping ship.

Jan 25, 11 11:59 am  · 
 · 
n_

Don't do it, holz!

Jan 25, 11 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Don't do it, holz!

Jan 25, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

n________________________________, i thought you were a myth.

Jan 25, 11 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

erll, i've floated resume to every firm in the city worth working for, and several not.

lots of interesting feedback, a few interesting lectures - but nothing solid. sooo..... yeah. it's either a career switch or move.

Jan 25, 11 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

interviews not lectures. damn having a sick baby is insane...

Jan 25, 11 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
last i heard, NYC and LA were doing better than seattle

LA? Seriously? That is news to me.

Jan 25, 11 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

better than seattle.

since NYE:
20 job posts in greater LA (1 marketing) v. 2 (1 marketing mgr) in SEA (all of washington, actually).

Jan 25, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Maybe Seattle offices aren't hip to Archinect. It certainly is a foreign concept in New Mexico... although most technology-oriented items are.

Looking and applying online to firms outside of my NY has yielded little results.

I'm having the same problem, but it is not necessarily that the market in 'X' city is bad, but rather that there are so many local applicants that are unemployed/seeking work that are well qualified, it's nearly impossible to convince an office that you are worth the time, expense and effort (even if it is on your dime) to relocate. If you have the means to move and support yourself without an income and can afford to take the gamble that you might find employment, then it's probably in your best interest to just move, but I don't know many people who could afford to take that risk. Seeing as it sounds like you already have a job in New York, it might not be wise to jump ship for something that may not exist.

Jan 25, 11 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Seattle has the 2nd highest number of architects per capita in the country (SF being #1). I dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing... I think Callison may be hiring

Jan 25, 11 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ I think you are exactly right, which totally sucks for everyone who is unemployed and doesn't have cool enough friends, or more to the point, friends who feel comfortable enough in their own positions to suggest their friends for open positions. Once you are out, you're out.

Jan 25, 11 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I think things may turn around this year...

Holtz, what kind of firm are you looking for? Also what type of projects did you work on previously? You've probably already looked at most firms I'd suggest, but send me an email if you like...

We are sort of up and down busy right now... Like alot of offices I think... Short staffed one minute and then light the next depending on project schedules, things going on hold, etc...

If you do apartment buildings etc. I believe Mithun may be looking... Or interior designers... Also you could try branching out a bit to markets outside your comfort zone... Medical etc. I think nbbj might have been looking for somebody for medical work... Not the most thrilling stuff but if there's something, in this economy... Also, they've done some nice hospitals... Have you gotten out to Seattle Childrens Hospital Bellevue Clinic to take a look?

Jan 26, 11 3:20 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Yeah I know of people who have gotten jobs at ZGF and Callison recently... I'd say more mid level PA types...

Jan 26, 11 3:23 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Callison I hear these days is doing alot of international retail, like in China etc. Seems a number of offices are doing China stuff here to try and keep busy...

Jan 26, 11 3:28 am  · 
 · 
bRink

On a side note, not sure if this means anything for an economic turnaround in architecture but Amazon is hiring... Also I saw something that said Google is planning on hiring 6000 new people worldwide... Maybe some of that might trickle up into Seattle?

Jan 26, 11 3:32 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Just to corroborate what's already been said, I have a few friends who recently found work at Callison, specifically in the retail / interior design part of the company. Also have a friend of a friend who got in at ZGF. They're all UW alums though; it seems like you really have to know somebody to get an "in." They got the jobs through friends.

Also, to go with what bRink said, Mithun was looking several months ago for people that had really specific quals and program skills. Not sure if they've found anyone yet. I think WATG has hired back / is looking as well. It seems like firms in seattle are quietly hiring again, but, like everywhere else, tapping friends or old employees on the shoulder rather than posting jobs.

Jan 26, 11 4:20 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Sure! Where at? Happy hour someplace?

Jan 26, 11 10:49 am  · 
 · 
n_

I want in on a Seattle meet up!

Also, did anyone see the recent Architect magazine feature for the Uniqlo flagship store in Shanghai? That was a Callison Seattle retail team. I've also heard they've been doing quite a bit of the Apple stores in Europe.

Jan 26, 11 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

bRink

Amazon is always hiring. My gf works there, so I take her to work every day. Every Monday morning is new recruit day..at least a boat loads worth of Indian programmers heading in to their 1st day of work

Jan 26, 11 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: