Archinect
anchor

Intern Investment Syndrome

headyshreddy

Talked to an old employer who told me he would love to have me back but was reluctant after I told him my situation (I love my hometown but have been sheltered and would like to see other places). He told me that he would be investing so much money in training and technologies that leaving even after a a few years would be a disruption to the company, even though I'd be working at an entry-level position. He's looking long-term obviously and I understand his position completely, he is after-all an honest businessman. I guess I would have assumed more support from him. Did I just get bullied in or out? Or is this a normal thing for young designers to experience in the interstitial stages of post-graduation?

Jan 24, 11 3:16 pm
bRink

All jobs are an investment, for the employer and also for the employee. When choosing a position, I think it's always best to approach it as a long term gig... Show that you are interested in putting in and dedicating yourself to the firm... That said, nobody knows what will happen a few years from now, you or the employer, but even from the point of being fully invested sns learning and growing through the work, best to commit, or decide where you want to commit IMHO before taking a job... Cause you'll be there for a while at least, and nobody can see what's 2 years down the road, etc, especially in this economic climate... The "long term goals" question on interviews is always a tough one... Best to answer honestly that you will be fully dedicated to growing with the company... Never set a timeline, for yourself, and for the employer because who really knows how long you'd be there until you've actually worked there... Employers want dedicated staff... No point in questioning your commitment...

If you really don't want to stay in your hometown, why not start looking elsewhere right away, nothing better than starting you long term goal now...

Jan 24, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

I don't personally believe there is any such thing as long-term plans in architecture, now more than ever. I don't consider the fact of being hired equals a commitment of years to any firm. Reams of architects don't wind up working more than a single year at many firms. Relatively few firms can even predict what financial standing they will be in even a single year from now. Employment is often project-to-project oriented. Turnover is always at least substantial. If you did have plans to move, there is no need to make that known. Just work for the guy and play it by ear. Trust me, everybody does it this way by necessity anyway. To ask for a commitment of years, unless he is financing your education or ARE, etc., something which typically includes a separate contract you would sign, especially for interns, who can be laid off fairly easily with little fallout on the projects they were working on (not trying to scare you), is not typical and kind of odd. I trust he's sincere and a nice guy but even the most well-meaning of intentions/ predictions these days is zero. Architects are not in control of the money, the client is.

Jan 24, 11 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

@spacefraud - i dunno - it's not like he's going into it thinking he's losing money for the first couple of years by hiring you. in reality, you'll simply be able to generate more profit for the firm once you know what you're doing.

@beekay31 - just because one needs to react tactically to changing situations does not mean one should proceed without a strategy.

Jan 24, 11 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

Not telling the employer he's going to leave until giving notice IS the strategy. The employer knowing his intention to leave does nothing of benefit for him, only damages his chances in a tight market like this. We've all got to survive somehow. It doesn't sound like he's talking about a summer internship where the employer knows he's going back to school.

Jan 24, 11 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

learn to hold your cards a bit closer - that's just business. regardless of what you are thinking right now, admit to yourself that your plans could change. your boss doesn't truly need to know everything that's going on in your head. he only needs some reassurance you're serious about the gig. you saying you might leave doesn't mean you literally will, but it is a sign to him that you don't have your head wrapped 100% around being in his office, and that someone out there probably does. remember, regardless of what you tell him, he could cut you loose for whatever reason at anytime as well. if you want a job, tell him what he wants to hear, i guarantee he will do the same for you. either of you can always change your mind later.

Jan 24, 11 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Right, hold your cards close... But then, what if you're not a poker player...

Here is my pov: sure, nobody can predict what's going to happen in a year from now, let alone 3 years from now... That said I'm sort of the mind that anything you do, you will do better at, and will gain more from if you enter it with a mindset that this is what is immediately in front if you, it's a long term deal, and whether that really happens, you give it your all as if it were long term. Because In the end, whether you stay for the long haul, if you push hard enough you get more out of it, take in as much experience as you could, learn, and do the best work that will contribute to your portfolio, and reach a higher level of professional ability than you would if you treated it as a temporary stepping stone... All these results go with you, stay with you even if you change to another office later... So all that matters us the now...

That's why I think there is no point in looking at other future ifs, etc... I think most people are not great poker players... It's hard to focus on the work if you are already looking to the next thing, and it's reflected in performance, and any employer will see that... If you do something, own it... And commit to it mentally... My 2 cents... Understood though that this becomes harder as the economy creates more uncertainty... But then, motivation is tricky, staying focused requires an all in mentality... Distractions won't help, so best to think: @what do I have to lose?"

Jan 24, 11 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

It's unfortunately true. Not easy to hear, but yes, intern level employees cost us money and it is an investment. Right now, we can only pay people for consultant or part-time work. Those that we do hire for this are typically very experienced past-employees that are significantly more expensive than an intern level, but can generate architectural fees at 2x to 3x their cost to the firm. Less experienced employees just cannot do that due to the amount of management and oversight required of me and their general lack of experience.

When times were good, we justified hiring interns by those employees that stayed with us long enough for our investment to pay off and the fact that we considered ours a teaching office. But, now that times are hard, there is simply no way for us to justify having entry/lower level employees. Wish it were different and maybe it is for other offices, but it is just the way it is in our experience.

Jan 24, 11 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
kyo-ko

From my perspective, I beg to differ. Because I'm still an "intern" in my office ie not licensed and 2.5 years at this office, and because of the economy, I'm not paid well because my boss is always worried about the job flow running dry. From day one however, my job description was to function like a project architect on a below-average intern's salary. Sure, it took a little while to land on my feet, but I NEVER cost my office money, nor did I ever enjoy very much time or guidance from my boss at all. Since starting with this office, we have always shown good profits, and increasing profits each year. Last year was our BIGGEST profit year in a LONG time, even with the economy. As all other factors have remained the same, I tend to think that it's the underpaid "intern" who is making a difference. I can see how a slow intern can be a more costly investment, but I tend to think that since an intern's work is mostly billable, and an intern's income is so low, that's often where a lot of the profit comes from. Not all interns will take up your time and money.

Spacefraud, my advice is that you should take the job while actively (and secretly) working toward your real goals. You will be able to live off an income, pay off student loans (if you've got them) while still trying to apply for those other jobs. With IDP requirements and the importance of gaining job experience in this economy, you're still moving toward your goal, even if it's not your dream job. In fact, hold your boss to his promise of teaching you things. You won't get that everywhere. Like you, I used to consider my current job as a much more temporary stepping stone, but now I'm a bit more realistic. I know I will finally land something better, but until that time comes, I still am moving toward my big picture goals, which is more than enough for now.

As for being "bullied" by this employer...Obviously he wants you, so keep proving your worth and hold your own against him. Don't let yourself get bullied. Even at the bottom, you are an asset to the company--prove it, know your own worth, and always ask for more. It'll keep you motivated.

Jan 25, 11 1:21 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

A. Your life is not your employers business ever
B. As useless as most recent grads are a smart employer will always profit from the interns labor. The investment is paying you, the money should be coming from a job that you are working on, the profit is usually enough to cover your inadequecies. Now if your employer only pays themselves from the profits they should be doing their own work.
C. Take anything you can get, as noted obviosuly this person wants you
D. "Bullied"...oh cut the crap, that's intern thinking and will get you nowhere. Its business.

Jan 25, 11 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: