Archinect
anchor

Architects under 40 in the U.S.

KINGTUT

Hello,
I'm doing a study on young architects and installation artists/architects today in America. (I don't currently live in the US right now).
I've been able to find some great firms, but they are already established practices.

What I am looking for are young firms, creative individuals who are constantly putting their names out there entering (and even winning) competitions and putting together exhibitions.

I saw some of the work from Art Basel and Descours new orleans, but there was only a few to choose from.

Can anyone pass on some recommendations or point me in the right direction? Thank you very much.

Jan 19, 11 9:10 pm
jakethesnake

I'm guessing you are looking for people right out of graduate school?

These people will be hard to find, if they're under 40. What's the old saying, in architecture you don't really hit your peak until you are in your 60;s? Architects are late bloomers?

With that said, try a guy named Quilan Riano. I think he was an editor on this site, and an architect. I could be wrong, after all I don't even know his age. I don't even think I'm spelling his name right.

Did you look at the previous year's winner's of the YAProgram at the Moma PS1?

Jan 20, 11 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

lead pencil studio

Jan 20, 11 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

michael meredith?

he's probably under 40, correct?

and the SERVO folks?

I don't know if Michael A. Fox is still under 40, but if not, he can't be too much older than it either. foxlin.com

And his partner on the book, Interactive Architecture, Miles Kemp, is definitely under 40 and looks to be doing some interesting things

Neri Oxman, too

Jan 20, 11 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
jakethesnake

I've recommended this group before: NC Office out of Miami

Jan 20, 11 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

PbElemental

Jan 21, 11 12:16 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

is that a serious submission mdler? ps, we need to grab drinks again

Jan 21, 11 1:42 am  · 
 · 
jakethesnake

Look at the main design schools out there and ask them if they have young professors which you could highlight in your research. I think that's where you'll find your 40 and younger group.

Jan 21, 11 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

interestingly the Guardian in the UK did a survey of architects under 30 (some not yet registered but still practising in that mode - one way or another).

Jan 22, 11 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

holz

PbElemental is doing more work than anyone else out there right now

Jan 23, 11 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
azcue

Maybe you should broaden your search to include Europe. I think they'll be easier targets to find there. Or even in Latin America

Jan 24, 11 1:20 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

i think these fellas are youngish http://www.digsau.com/

Feb 15, 11 11:05 am  · 
 · 
207moak

I'm under 40 but I'm not winning competitions or putting together exhibitions

Feb 15, 11 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

bercy chen studio

Feb 17, 11 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
KINGTUT

any others?

Feb 18, 11 1:09 am  · 
 · 
mdler

MAKE in LA...I think Bill is under 40

Feb 18, 11 1:29 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

these guys do good work

www.peg-ola.com

Feb 21, 11 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: