Archinect
anchor

Exterior Cladding Suggestions

santa monica

I'm designing a small residential garage & storage unit in the Great Lakes region. The client would like the exterior cladding to have the look of tongue & groove or shiplapped wood siding. However, maintenance is a serious issue; I assume that cedar or redwood requires refinishing every couple of years.

I had thought of using a fiber cement siding like Hardieboard, but can't find a product that allows for t&g installation. Does anyone have experience with a similar product that might work? Thanks in advance.

Jan 13, 11 7:35 pm
dia

Cedar will be fine. A coat of oil every 3-5 years depending on local humidity. Alternatively, you could look at Onduline.

Jan 13, 11 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

you can shiplap fiber cement panels. although i think it's a bit of a waste and looks kinda wrong...

Jan 14, 11 1:23 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

It looks like lazy vinyl siding!

Jan 14, 11 2:30 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

only 10x more expensive!

Jan 14, 11 2:54 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I mean, they could at least overlap the board joints... even if by an 1"!

The interior seems like a more heinous crime than the exterior.

Jan 14, 11 3:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

its called hardiplank. thats what people use these days. on the website their is even a section for architects,designers and plaanners. click on the pick of the guy in black with the glasses holding a rolled up set of plans.

Jan 14, 11 10:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: