Archinect
anchor

Architecture in the Sierra Valley-california

joe

so I'm curious to see if anyone has any information about the architecture that's going on in the sierra valley in California. Its very off the beaten path as far as architecture in in that state goes, but I love the area and want to look more into who is doing good work and familiarize myself with it. The whole area below Sacramento and above Fresno is pretty much the sierra valley so its pretty long, but all along one main highway. My time there it seemed pretty much anywhere USA as far as the architecture goes but I know there has to be decent work being done.

I'm familiar with how things are in the pacific northwest pretty good since I lived there for a bit, but that micro area of California rings no bells for me. I know there are a lot of Californians on here so I figured this would be good to ask.

thanks!

Jan 13, 11 3:35 am
TaliesinAGG

As far as quality Architecture.....not much, plus the central valley was and continues to be hit hard by the economy. Overbuilt residential resulted in lots of empty houses and apartments. Fresno's shopping center boom is over. The only bright spot could be Fresno's 280 million dollar school bond passing as well as school bonds passed in Stanislaus district....but mostly modernizations not much new building. Best Architect in area is FLLW former apprentice Art Dyson, but his office is fairly slow I believe.

There were some very good Architects working the central valley at mid century, but recent work pretty much looks like everywhere else.
Things look bleak looking forward. Not a bad place to live though. I live in central valley and commute to Silicon Valley and work with a global Architecture firm.

Jan 13, 11 11:33 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

This Library is tilt-up conc construction. The concrete panels have aprox 6" of conc. then an insulation layer and then another layer of concrete so the walls act as a thermo-mass. It gets hot as balls in SacTown!

cooling tower and the Northern glazed facade

just found the librarians flicker account!!!

Jan 13, 11 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

unfortunately the library is in the middle of a residental development that is not doing so well....its still well used...but I have no clue as to where the people are coming from. lol

Jan 13, 11 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you could always design meth labs

Jan 14, 11 12:49 am  · 
 · 
joe

haha, meth labs.

unemployment is horrible out there. still. sixteen percent all over the valley. would probably be near impossible to find a decent job out there now. who knows what unemployment is in the arch firms out there.

Jan 14, 11 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Howie

There have been some decent projects over the past 10 years. Most have been in education.

Of course, the last 3 years or so have been pretty slim. Some decent small projects here and there.

Jan 15, 11 3:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: