Archinect
anchor

what is the typical office depth for highrise office?

nypencil

Anyone knows the typical office depth for highrise office in US? Is it around 40'? Is this number getting smaller in Europe?

This is for a competition. Thanks for the help.

Jan 12, 11 10:45 am
toasteroven

this is an odd question - are you a student?

Jan 12, 11 11:09 am  · 
 · 
elinor

40'-42'.

Jan 12, 11 11:17 am  · 
 · 
elinor

40'-42'.

Jan 12, 11 11:17 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

40' is reasonable... and yes, lease spans are typically more shallow in europe

Jan 12, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 
nypencil

toasteroven: don't fool yourself. Even an architect without highrise experience don't know it for sure.

Jan 12, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

This reminds me of a thread last year that asked about the size of a typical American home. The person who asked the question got kind of angry at all of us for not getting a singular value that his thesis heavily relied on.

So my answer to this question (or any other one) is always 42.

Jan 12, 11 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

...as in 4200 sf? that probably is typical for an american home...with closets larger than my apartment.......

Jan 12, 11 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

elinor, the average nyc apartment is only 420 sf or the equivalent of one walk-in closet (+/- 420 sf) in a typical american single family house.

Jan 12, 11 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

crazy...haha...so 42 really is the magic number!

Jan 12, 11 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

;)

Jan 12, 11 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

sorry - didn't understand your question - seems like elinor and letdown did, though...

obviously I don't know anything either.

Jan 12, 11 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

I've always heard that the general go-by limit for a double loaded rectangular office plan is 50' wide before you really start getting into lack of adequate natural light issues....

Jan 13, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"lack of adequate natural light issues...."

The issue becomes moot once you line up the entire perimeter with executives' offices.

Jan 13, 11 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Depends how cantilever it is at the 28th floor (OMA) or the degree of the acute angle the building terminates at (Libeskind).

If it's a Robert Stern... the answer is clearly what ever the entire floor space is because wealthy people cannot just fit into anything other than their own floors.

If it's Tschumi, it's the entire floor minus the space of the god-awful commercial-grade Crayola-colored exterior cladding.

If it's a Gerhy, it's approximate ((x*1.3)/(y*1.3/1.6))1.5.

Jan 13, 11 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: