Archinect
anchor

portfolio review B.S. Interior Design for M.arch

Beepbeep

portfolio review for my master of architecture application
I will have a B.S. Interior Design/Construction Management in April

this is my first shot at doing a portfolio, my school program was not that great but this is as good as I could get it with my projects, I am not aiming high I just hope to get in somewhere

http://issuu.com/dkornmeyer/docs/porfoliodavidkornmeyer

Jan 11, 11 10:53 pm
Milwaukee08

Just did a quick scan through, so I'll just comment more on the overall layout than individual drawings.

First off, I feel it needs some major editing as far as layout goes, everything seems so jumbled around and I can't see any sort of pattern to it. I'd recommend sitting down and laying out a single 2-page spread and deciding locations for where you want drawings, where you want text, etc. And then go through and use the same locations on each page for images/text/etc. Guidelines are your friends. Now not everything has to line up on each page, and not every "space" on each page has to have the same thing each time, one one page you may have an image in the upper right corner, but on the next page you may have text, or it may be blank, but whatever it is should be in the same location as the previous page and the following page, NOT one inch over, or a half inch lower, etc.

I know, when you have so many images trying to make them all the same size is a bitch, because you rendered or scanned them in a long time ago, may not have the originals, etc, but trust me, the image should fit the layout, not the size of the image you have on had determining how the page is laid out.

Second, you might want to go through and narrow the number of different fonts down to maybe 2. On pages 22-33 you use that blueprinty type font, some is in red, some is in black, get rid of that, make it the same as everything else. NEVER use a "blueprint" looking font, they look terrible.

On some parts you highlight stuff in red, try to control that. If you're going to use color, use it consistant, ie making the project title red, but ONLY the project title, and do it for each one.

On the same note, some of your pages have a green background, but most are gray. Make them all the same color.

The resume page is kinda nuts, everything seems jumbled.

Basically, use the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid), you want the viewer focused on your best drawings, not on a million other things going on.

Edit it down, clean it up, and use consistency!

Pages 14-15 seem pretty good, I would work off of those, I like the table of contents pages too, the different colored squares are interesting. It might look nice if you had the same colored squares on the first page of the corresponding project. So like Ogden International is a blue square, so on Page 6 you'd have "Ogden International" written on the top with a blue square next to it, and the same for each project.

Anyways, I'm sure others will have more, keep at it, and feel free to post any updates.

Jan 11, 11 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Send me your indesign file with all the linked files. I will redo it for free.

It will take me far less time to redo it than it would be for me to type out every single thing you need to do.

Jan 12, 11 2:20 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

take out pages 2, 4, 8, 9, 16, 18 (except the drawing at top left), 19, 28, 29 and the thank you on the back cover. Make at least half of it look like 12, 13, 14, and 16. 24 and 25 deserve six pages unless the diagrams are actually so bad you don't want someone to read them.

Jan 12, 11 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: