Archinect
anchor

Programming Planning & Practice (ARE)

Say No to Student Loans

I'll be taking this exam, my second ARE (after Site Planning & Design), in a couple weeks. After studying for a few weeks, it seems like a broad, overarching topic. Are there any exam taking peers out there studying for this as well, or anyone who has recently taken this one? How's it going?

Jan 7, 11 1:29 pm
ozzie62

If you haven't already, you should go to areforum.org for the best online ARE community you could ever imagine. It has been a huge help to me.

Jan 7, 11 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Ppp is the broadest exam out of the AREs, there is alot of overlap with several of the other exams...

Jan 7, 11 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

This test is very broad. I don't recommend taking it till after CDs. CDs has a narrower focus but there is still a lot of overlap to PPP, so it will make an easier transition for you to do CDs first.

Jan 8, 11 9:25 am  · 
 · 
pigeon

be sure to review the key AIA docs again. they are important for this and cds (well really for all exams). It goes both ways. I took PPP later (#5 or so) and it was helpful to take a cds and others before, but PPP is a broad range of knowledge that would have been helpful to review before the others too.

its a crap shoot.

Jan 9, 11 7:36 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

PPP did feel like a crap shoot to me also. I took it 2nd after CDS, which helped because there was a lot of overlap

I would use the areforum.org more than archinect when studying.

{no offense archinect, just that areforum.org is solely dedicated to studying}

for what its worth, i basically only used the ArchiFlash flashcards while studying for PPP and passed. I felt that my general work experience gave me most of the knowledge for this exam. The vignette was pretty simple once you practice the method a bit and get comments from the forum.

Jan 10, 11 11:11 am  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

i would study for CDS, PPP and SPD together and then take them in succession, closely together. totally agree with marmkid about archiflash - there at LEAST 4 questions almost identical to the cards on my PPP exam.

Jan 10, 11 11:23 am  · 
 · 
postal

i strongly second wrecking ball's grouping.

Jan 10, 11 11:36 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

i found the ArchiFlash flashcards to be a very nice investment for these exams. I am not sure the current price, but i got the 4.0 version for $100. I figure, 7 exams worth of study material for $100 is a decent deal

I know it can seem overwhelming with all the study material people throw out there. I wouldnt go buying too much really though

CDS, PPP, and SPD are all doable with Archiflash and borrowing Kaplan from your local AIA office, if one is close by. And then the practice vignettes in the practice program as well as the alternates on the areforum.org ftp site are more than enough for SD. So that is 4 out of 7.

I agree that taking CDS, PPP and SPD in a row is a good idea. There is a lot of overlap. I got lucky in that i just happened to schedule those all together, since i scheduled my first 4 all at once to get in before the price increase

Jan 10, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Thanks all for the comments- busy studying. areforum is definitely a good resource. Sometimes though, archinect is good because people are a little removed than responders on areforum and have a different angle on the process. I already scheduled PPP so it will have to come before CDS. I hope PPP's to CDS works two ways and will help me when I study and Take Construction Documents.

Thanks also for the tip on borrowing Kaplan study material from my local AIA. I'm on a bit of an island with all of this and it would be unreasonable for my office to buy tons of study materials. I have archiflash as an app on my Droid; I have other flash cards, as well as the Ballast book. Only about 1.5 years of true architecture firm experience means a lot of studying- over and over since the some material, particularly relating to the practice processes is foreign.

Wish me luck!..

Jan 10, 11 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

PPP and CDS works both ways, that should not be an issue

Jan 10, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
building.simply

i put this in a related thread recently, but for Q&A practice, you can visit my blog: http://are-review.blogspot.com/

i started it very recently and am adding new questions every day as i study. comments and suggestions welcome.

Jan 10, 11 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

nice- thanks.

How much do you all reccomend studying 'The Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice' for PPP?

Jan 11, 11 9:02 am  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

good neighbor, i don't think that AHPP is necessary to pass, but if you do have it at your disposal then i would concentrate heavily on project delivery.

Jan 11, 11 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: