Archinect
anchor

How to include my travels in my architecture portfolio?

nolaruth

I've been developing my portfolio in order to apply to grad schools this year and have been wondering what ways there are to include my travel photography/observations in my portfolio. Short of creating a page title "My Travels" I'd like to find a more creative way to present my experiences. And have in it included in my portfolio in such a way that it doesn't seem unrelated to my work.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Examples I can see online?

All and any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Jan 7, 11 1:20 pm
mbuyer
http://issuu.com/mbuyer/docs/final_grad_portfolio_to_size

whether or not if this is the best way, i added a "travel studies" chapter into my graduate portfolio. I was accepted to wash u, iit, parsons, and ended up going to pratt. it seemed fitting for me to just add some of my quick travel sketches and photography to show that i have traveled but tried to not put an over emphasis on it.

Jan 7, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
architerp

There are a few ways of going about this:

1. Don't do it. If you're just pasting vacation pics in a portfolio, you're wasting pages.

2. Any images you place should be something of merit. Either it won an award, or was used for a particular project or research, or it is a really really good photo. Sketches go a lot further in showing that you sat and studied a place, rather than snapped a picture and moved along.

3. Include "my travels" in a written section of your portfolio, if you have an intro statement. Write it in any essay you may need to submit with your portfolio. Or discuss your travels and observations during interviews.

Jan 7, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

you can have a 'research' section, where you put 'other' types of work, but it really should be meaningful and tied somehow to ideas about your principal work or study. no one needs to see vacation photos or photos you've taken of famous buildings in your portfolio...it's just plain weird to open a student portfolio and see fallingwater or the bilbao museum in it...

maybe add captions that convey your intent.

and if you do this, keep it to a spread or two.

Jan 7, 11 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
wrought.n

Similar to what other people have stated, a travel section should only be included if meaningful ideas or critical thoughts were created and expressed in some kind of medium. Travel photos, and even 5 minute sketches, are not interesting unless they are tied to a larger idea or inspiration that can be intertwined to the other ideas expressed in your portfolio.

Jan 7, 11 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I would say be sure to include your travels to such exciting Architectural hot spots as Disney World, Detroit, and Zap (North Dakota). I can't think of any others but I'm sure there are others.

Who cares about Rome, Athens, New York, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Toyko, Rio de Janerio, ....and the list goes on.

Jan 7, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

Wall Drug

Jan 7, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: