Archinect
anchor

post-interview follow-up window

Cherith Cutestory

Let's say you had an interview with an office of June 2010 for an advertised position. Second interview to be exact (first one over the phone a few weeks prior) and one that the office paid for transportation costs. Then 2 weeks later you get a phone call that gently explains that although they would like to hire you (based on the interview, etc) they have decided they don't have enough work to support adding staff BUT to continue to remain in touch.

A few months go by and I email and things haven't picked up yet. A few months after that I email again and this time get an out-of-office response with no follow-up later.

Alright, so it's now been about 6 months since the post-interview phone call and I am wondering how long of a post-interview "let's stay in touch" window I have. Would be acceptable to email again? Would I be better served with a phone call so there could at least be some discussion and acquaintance? I really liked this office and could see myself being pretty happy there so I don't want to overstep my bounds but I also don't want to lose out on opportunity that might not be advertised either. There is a fine line between being tenacious and being obnoxious and I'm just sure where that might be.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Similar experiences?

Jan 2, 11 8:04 pm
mdler

keep on calling every so often and tell them how much you would like to work for them. Things may have changed in terms of their needs, and they may need someone. Showing that you are still interrested is always a good thing.

I had an interview with a company back in May of 2010. Got called back for 2nd interview and they liked me, etc...things got shaken up at company, ended up not hiring me. I kept in touch with the HR department and those that I had interviewed, letting them know that I was still interrested in working with them

About a month ago I got an email out of the blue from the HR department letting me know that they had a job they thought I would be good at, and asking me to interview; I interviewed last week. The 1st thing that they told me in the interview is that everyone had really been impressed with me back in May, and that the reason I didnt get hired was because of the shake up in the company. They want to bring me on now and (fingers crossed) will do so soon

Moral of the story is that you should maintain a realationship with the company if you like them; something may open up and they may think of you for it

Jan 2, 11 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Thanks. That was totally the answer I was hoping to get.

Jan 3, 11 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Totally agree with mdler. My rule of thumb is always to remember back to how I felt when resumes were crossing my desk, etc - 'how often did someone have to call for me to feel like they were bugging me?'
As long as you're not actually harassing someone I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just checking in occasionally shows great initiative and is a good reminder that you liked them. And everyone likes to be liked!

Jan 3, 11 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Okay.

I think it may be time to move onto sending one more resume out to another firm.

Jan 3, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

i would just reiterate and emphasize that it is better to communicate that YOU are still interested in THEM, and not just continually ask whether THEY are still interested in YOU. The latter can get obnoxious.

Jan 3, 11 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

yeah! keep calling every month or so? i got a job offer in november for a position i had an interview at in early june. and actually, the person (who's now my supervisor) told me that they really appreciated that i kept following up

Jan 4, 11 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: