Archinect
anchor

Rendering in Portfolio

wrought.n

I am putting together my personal portfolio, which features alot of professional work, and am somewhat stuck on whether or not I should include a professional rendering created by a digital artist that was hired by a client for a large project. If I did include it I would most certainly place a caption stating that is a was rendering by an artist. However, I am hesitant as I feel like only work that was created inside the office should be included in my portfolio. I guess I could use an in-house or personal rendering to fill for this image, but it just looks so damn good. Is it wrong to use an image that was created by someone outside of the office?

Dec 30, 10 9:50 pm
Rusty!

As long as you state your exact role in each project you include in your portfolio, then I see no problem with it.

More serious infraction is when an employee copies a DVD of all the projects he/she worked on before leaving the office. Not because of moral/legal objections, but because bad architecture spreads just like bedbugs do.

Leave that POS detail where you found it, citizen.

Dec 30, 10 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Totally depends on your role and position within the firm I'd say.

ie. if you were an intern doing mostly models/rendering/images/graphic work then including someone else's rendering would be a very bad idea in my mind.

On the other hand, if you had a more senior role, and weren't in a position to be doing the visuals anyways, then I think it's more acceptable.

I hope that makes sense?

Dec 31, 10 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

IG has a good point. If you were on the 'architecture' side, like design or management, then certainly include it.

But I'd probably include it anyway, just with a note. It is a team effort, so as long as you contributed (even if you just made the 3D model), then you helped it happen.

I see images we've created all the time, without any created (even though we specifically request to get created where they are published). I wouldn't care who uses our images if they were respectful of our work and put the credit, just as a photographer would.

Jan 1, 11 10:00 am  · 
 · 
wrought.n

That is what I was hoping the consensus would be. I think I will include it since I have stated my role in the project very clearly along with the fact that this is a supporting image and does not have much focus on it. Thanks

Jan 1, 11 11:48 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

You should definitely include a rendering, because nobody is going to read your floor plans and elevations without seeing a final result in the rendering, but definitely give credit.

Jan 1, 11 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: