Archinect
anchor

working in overseas

kikimonkey

I graduated with a BS in arch last year. Since then, I've been doing different things. I am working as a CAD designer, which sucks because what is do is nothing to do with architecture..

I've been searching very hard, working on my portfolio and improving my rendering skills.

I know that there is a limitation on getting IDP credits if I work in overseas. However, if i can work for a big firm, isn't it better than working at a small firm as a cad monkey in the u.s.?

I am thinking that it would also count as a better experience for my future job?

I don't know how much credit they give for overseas experience here..

I want to hear your thoughts on this...

Dec 28, 10 1:20 pm
snook_dude

once a cad monkey always a cad monkey....in overseas.

Dec 28, 10 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Seiji331

you can get IDP credits overseas, but there is a certain limit i cant remember the hours off the top of my head.

Dec 28, 10 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Seiji331

Work Setting C
Maximum Training Hours Allowed: 1,880

You are working at an organization/firm located outside the United States or Canada under the direct supervision of an architect credentialed to practice architecture by a country other than the United States or Canada.

Example: Working at an architecture firm in Japan with a supervisor who is a licensed architect in Japan.

that post above was useless haha.

Dec 28, 10 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
kikimonkey

oh, i was actually asking if it is worthy to go overseas to work instead of searching so hard to get a crappy job here in this economy...

and how much of my experience overseas will be counted when I come back and work here later..

Dec 28, 10 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

If you are a cad monkey in a small firm, then you will definitely be a cad monkey in a large firm. In a large firm you will only be doing 1 specific task, ONLY. There is no such thing as designing and cad and rendering, in a big firm you either design (do some sketches and tell others what to do), cad or you do 3d renderings...

Dec 28, 10 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

If you are a cad monkey in a small firm, then you will definitely be a cad monkey in a large firm. In a large firm you will only be doing 1 specific task, ONLY. There is no such thing as designing and cad and rendering, in a big firm you either design (do some sketches and tell others what to do), cad or you do 3d renderings...

Dec 28, 10 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I worked in the overseas.

Gotta watch out, coral is fucking cliquey.

Jan 1, 11 4:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: