Archinect
anchor

Working for Free

Milwaukee08

Just an article I found on CNN.com about internships.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/12/07/internship.new.entry.level.job/index.html?hpt=C2

Ani Kevork has interned at seven companies since she graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles in 2009. She's trying to get a full-time job, but there's just nothing out there.

"It wasn't really a choice," she said. "It's just the reality of the job market today."

No. 7 proved lucky for Kevork in that her current internship at a film studio in London is paid, unlike her six previous internships. Still, she has no benefits, no job security and no idea where she'll be in a few weeks.

Kevork and two of her former classmates started a blog, The Eternal Intern, about the struggles of the current job market for other college grads with the same plights.

http://www.the-eternal-intern.blogspot.com/

Six Unpaid internships?!?!

I've only scanned their blog, not much detail in the first few (2009) posts, I'd really like to know how people can afford to move to different cities or even foreign countries and work for free and still survive. Rich parents? It boggles the mind. I mean, if I had rich parents that would pay my living expenses, I might do the unpaid internship thing too, if it was the only way. But I would still expect you to slap me upside the head, like I would like to do to these girls. Working for free just cheapens yourself, and all the rest of us along with you.

Dec 7, 10 3:47 pm
creativity expert

Reflecting on why Architecture is such a cutthroat profession, I think it has to do with how we value our services, not very highly, I still remember a very highly regarded Chicago architect, telling us that we should insist on getting payed well, but we didn't listen.

Making a comparison, just think about lawyers, and doctors, in terms of what they get payed, you cant find a lawyer to work for less than 200 dollars an hour, and the justice department cant go after them for fixing prices because it is not written down anywhere, there is no union, lawyers and doctors just listened to that old professor who told them to insist on getting payed well.

Dec 7, 10 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Hey Milwuakee08: Judging from your avatar you probably drink a lot and party a lot and eat a lot of steak and bacon. You are a loser... Just FYI dawg

hahaha

That's what you get for trying to engage an average CNN commenter.

Dec 7, 10 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

woof! buzz's girlfriend!

Dec 7, 10 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"I do believe that the harder you work, the more that will come to you," Gorden said. "I'm confident that the future is bright for me ... that I worked hard enough to get somewhere, and I don't want to settle."

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that sweetheart.

Dec 7, 10 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I do love bacon. Although I rarely eat it, and have only had alcohol twice since the end of May. Oh, the joys of being too broke to go out.

Dec 8, 10 7:04 am  · 
 · 
beekay31

They're in school. They're on financial aid. The sky is their limit... concerning their total debt load anyway.

Dec 8, 10 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: