Archinect
anchor

Sleep & Architecture School

Bench

Hey everyone, got a question that could be common to all of us or just way out there. I'm interested to hear your answers/thoughts/opinions.

Anyways, Im just about to wrap up the first term of my architecture degree. In the last few weeks (5-6) I've been having more and more trouble sleeping. I find that as soon as I lie down to fall asleep my mind begins to race about different things dealing with my current projects on the go. Usually fine details, different concepts, etc. I can lay awake for hours on end thinking about the most redundant things, and I find its really starting to wear on me. I didnt really say anything at first, as I have a history with being a somewhat light sleeper. However, its come up many times now in studio conversations of people having the same problems. I was wondering if this is normal; are there others out there with the same problem? How do you deal with it?

T-minus 70 hours to final pin-up!

Dec 3, 10 10:32 pm
Rusty!

A: hard liquor.

It would be interesting too see a poll on how many architects knock down a few before hitting the hey.

It was also mentioned in another thread that staring at your computer screen just before going to bed will make falling asleep much harder. Try reading a book before sleep.

Dec 3, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Keep a journal and a pen by your bed so you can scribble down nagging thoughts. Just getting it on paper will help purge your mind.

I also have a small collection of CD's that put me to sleep and use those when I find getting to sleep is problematic. You would be surprised what works. On more than one occasion, I feel asleep thanks to the Beastie Boys.

Nothing like a heavy architecture theory book, or something about computer programming to put you to sleep as well.

Dec 3, 10 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

what rusty said

you could try laying off the caffiene but that's no good
exercise of any kind the sordid the better

Dec 3, 10 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

sleep? during college? ha ha is this a some kind of joke?

Dec 4, 10 1:50 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Hell I had my final review two weeks ago and I'm still not getting to bed before 3 or 4 am.

I just put the tv on and that seems to work for me...but heavy theory books work too (you just have to reread the part you read the next day though).

Dec 4, 10 2:23 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I graduated years ago, and I'm still trying to to sleep like a normal person. It's not working i stay up late, I get up randomly, architecture school, and the profession has altered my sleep habits permanently, but crazy as it may sound i wouldn't have it any other way.

Dec 4, 10 2:41 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I guess I was so exhausted in school that once I had a normal night, I was out.

Now, well, that's an entirely different story.

Dec 4, 10 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Rohypnol, that'll help you.

Dec 4, 10 11:04 am  · 
 · 
ggrgr

this is very common. Its gona happen the first two years then you might get used to it. if it continues I suggest you boil some water with a shot of whiskey. Drink it before bed or whenever you start thinking about where to put the fire stairs. I have managed to survive architecture school with only 3 or 4 all nighters. Your time management skills will improve a) because you will know what is expected from you to produce, and you will do it faster b) you'll become a better designer with time.

Dec 4, 10 11:21 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

when i was little i defied my parents statements telling me i had slept, at 5 years old the little ontologist in me would tell them "i didn't sleep cause i don't remember.'

i still fight sleep after years out and the laying down getting idea phenomonen all the time...i get out of bed and go work or i dream and work it through the dream, after years of practice i've finally managed to not only design a problem while dreaming and sleeping but also able to remember it within a few minutes of conception.

but ruststuds is correct

if i want to sleep and sleep good, i go and get real drunk, passed out watching football last night.

Dec 4, 10 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Thanks everyone; but I would like to stress that this isn't from pulling a slew of all-nighters. I haven't had to do that yet, and Im quite happy with how I've been managing my time. I'm sure they will come, but I'm not there yet. This has strictly been coming up as soon as I try to fall asleep, as have the other people in my class who I've spoken to.

Dec 4, 10 11:43 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

to stress BenC - this racing imagination is a good thing as you slip in to unconsiousness...

by the way if you want to do that during the day go lay down somewhere and try to take a nap.

Dec 4, 10 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

one answer. L-Tryptophan

Dec 4, 10 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

You can try a few things:

Exercise - you'll sleep better

Read the Power of Now - and try to learn to control you mind

Natural - take something like Melatonin, works for me

Drugs - take them, but, personally, most make me feel like I am in a coma the next day

Controlling your thoughts is tough and will be a life long battle. Try to focus on comforting things to distract yourself from the immediate issues.

The goal is to shut your mind up. Ain't an easy task and most of us have little control over it, but something that will help you 'live' if you can get control.

Good luck, I know how stressful and tiring it can be going round and round in your own head.

Dec 4, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

robo-trip-yo

Dec 6, 10 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

try these things in progressive order:

1.exercise
2. nightcap
3. melatonin
4. marijuana

Dec 6, 10 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Exercise and liquor, always preferred scotch or bourbon.

Doing a end-of-night scribble to clear the mind helps a bit too - just got to make sure it doesn't continue, usually a shot or two of whiskey while writing/sketching will help wind it down.

Dec 7, 10 1:54 am  · 
 · 
sanguebom

Active lifestyle is your answer. Find your zen and stick with it. Get off the couch or desk or bed. You'll sleep and sleep well after a great physical activity that stimulates and refreshes you.

Dec 7, 10 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

nyquil -> red bull -> nyquil cycles.

not even kidding.

Dec 7, 10 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I graduated with my 4 year bachelors last year and I still have the occasional random night when my brain just won't shut off (updating old arch school projects, designing furniture, portfolio ideas, etc).

One of my friends (a piano major) used to swear by melatonin. I know Benedryl always makes me drowsy, never tried it just to sleep though, but only take stuff AFTER you get home from studio, we already have enough drowsy drivers out there.

Since I graduated I got a job in retail putting boxes on shelves (yay for my arch degree!) and I get up at 5:15am every morning, so I have no trouble passing out at 8pm. Though arch school and working nights in a coffee shop really helped me be a night owl, truth be told I already preferred working late anyway. But a week or two of waking up at the ass-crack o' dawn for work fixed that.

Dec 7, 10 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: