Archinect
anchor

poll: job growth through public sector spending

won and done williams

just curious. has your firm been able to hire directly due to projects funded by public sector money, i.e. infrastructure, schools, public service buildings, etc.? if so, how many employees?

Nov 24, 10 4:43 pm
won and done williams

i'll start. we've hired back three employees because of a large public school project.

Nov 24, 10 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Weve gone through some layoffs in recent months(about 8 people) but we have also just hired someone...not rehired. And we have also brought someone in from another firm on loan for a couple months to help with a library project.

All Public work. And we just got the go-ahead for a brand new 50,000sf library and a recycling center.

We try to loan people out to other firms so we dont need to lay them off - and we in turn hire loaners from the same firms. About 5 or 6 firms we trade with all the time.

Nov 24, 10 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

That's awesome STONES. That's how brothels used to operate. If only we also had the benefit of working our assess off for a few good years and then retired to Montana by the age of 40.

As far as public sector spending: this is not directly related, but I know a number of NY state firms that took advantage of the work program subsidy. The firms switched their employees to 4 day work weeks (at 80% of pay) and collected bunch of money. Not sure if this helped save any jobs or not...

Nov 24, 10 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

you calling me a whore?

Nov 24, 10 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Mire like a 19th century pimp.

Nov 24, 10 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Yes 1. Also looking back at the past few years if those public funded projects (tax credits) didn't exist we would have been laying people off as well.

Nov 27, 10 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: