Archinect
anchor

understand electrical and mechanical prints: suggestions?

nypencil

Having a set drawing in front of me, I want to understand the electrical and mechanical drawings inside it. But I don't have a clue. Is there any online resources or book could help me to understand these drawings from electrical and mechanical trades?

The following books are what I found from amazon, are they worth of money?

Blueprint Reading Basics: Manufacturing Print Reading

Nov 15, 10 11:33 am
dblock

Do you just want to read them or understand/design them?
There is a big difference between being able to read some symbols to understanding how they interrelate and work.
I personally wouldn't buy a blueprint reading book- seems fairly simple and unecessary... just to read some drawings which probably have a legend on them anyway...

Mechanical + Electrical Equipment for Buildings- by Stein & Reynolds
is the standard Architecture MEP bible.
Various building codes,
Graphic Standards,
Ching,
Janis- Mechanical/ Electrical Systems in buildings...

Nov 15, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

One obvious point (that may not be obvious to a novice) is that all mechanical floor plans are reflected ceiling plans. So if you are coordinating slab openings for your 3rd floor, you will need to look at the mechanical layouts of the 2nd floor. I've seen youngins struggle with that concept.

Nov 15, 10 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

green = ground

Nov 15, 10 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

each mep consultant does their drawings differently. i just saw sets from a new group this week that was completely different than any set i've seen before. you just have to live with 'em for a while to figure out what's going on. a reference book is a crutch; dig in and figure it out.

Nov 15, 10 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

uhhh
did you consult the legend for the set?
i mean,
just in case you didn't.
(to repeat dblock)

Nov 15, 10 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: