Archinect
anchor

At what point do you become unemployable?

Cherith Cutestory

At what point do you become unemployable?

At what point does the gap in employment on your resume become so large that offices simply will not consider your application?

At what point, despite your best efforts to keep your skills proficient and learn the new software, do offices bypass you because you don't have professional experience using said program?

What do you do when you already sunk the time and money into a career that likely is not going to pay off? Back to school for a different degree or a lifetime working retail?

Nov 12, 10 11:04 am
mantaray

Do you mean, that you're not employed at ALL? Like not even some crap non-architecture job? Or do you mean, not employed IN THE FIELD?

Just curious. How many people around here are not employed at all, vs. not employed in arch? I wonder if it makes a difference.

Nov 12, 10 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Do you mean, that you're not employed at ALL?

Yep. I will expand that by saying I am getting unemployment which pays better than working a minimum wage retail job.

Nov 12, 10 11:45 am  · 
 · 
med.

There are people who work at my office who have been on five hiatuses in the past.

Many of the older folks who went through the early 90s meltdown tell me that there were points where they switched careers for several years in order to stay afloat financially and then went back into the profession towards the mid 90s when things were comming back.

Some of the toughest spots I have seen people in are those who had just graduated and couldn't find employment. But even so, they eventually land jobs a couple years later.

Cherith, not to sound overly optiministic but firms are hirring these days. you just really have to push it. Try Washington DC. Every major firm here has hired people recently and I've not heard of any substantial layoffs for quite a while.

I did hear that HNTB shuttered its downtown DC office and moved to the metro office.

Nov 12, 10 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Thanks med. I've been interested in the DC area for a while now (I think we might have exchanged an email awhile back) and have been working my way through the directory sending out resumes. Hopefully one of the many I've sent out will produce something.

Nov 12, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I am the point at which you become unemployable.

Nov 12, 10 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

i think that having some employment, even if it means making less than what you get for unemployment, would look better than doing nothing.

1) you don't know who's a republican and absolutely hates social welfare leaches (well, that's how such people might potentially see you)

2) there are skills to be learned, even in crappy retail jobs. even if it's "just" patience, multitasking, and communication skills

3) you'll feel much better about yourself if you have some structure and routine. even if you hate your job

maybe you could find something in the more informal economy that you wouldn't have to report. not that i'm suggesting you break the law or cheat the system or anything, but maybe there's a way to work some and still continue to collect. and you know, volunteering.

Nov 12, 10 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
architectonik

i'm currently in retail part time for about half the week, and then the other half i'm reworking/ massaging my cover letter / resume and "machine gunning" it off to firms. Between the xbox and brushing up on software... that's where i'm at.

i try hard to not sit and wait for each agonizing response of "we are currently not hiring, but we will keep your information on file for future opportunities" but it is what it is

i prefer seeing "someone just responded to your post on archinect" ;P

but..do a competition or something, make an inspiring rendering, join habitat for humanity, conceptalize/model your dream home etc... those things can be put on a resume and can act as "fillers", sharpen your abilities, and beef up your portfolio... at least i think so

Nov 12, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I hired a women once who took off in the mid 90's to work on relief work in Africa, eventually she became responsible for building several schools and churches in various communities. I'd say that no other applicant I have ever had was as motivated, capable or adept at dealing construction issues as her. I couldn't care less about what 3D graphics program she knew. She was a self starter who had the best skill set an employer could want.

Nov 12, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

3years away from arch offices i was turned down various times due to 'lack of office experience', but had construction/detailing experience..... and this was at a time when i had knee surgery and couldn't do construction for a while.... after this, i started to see the real side of the profession....

Nov 12, 10 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

When you do not have anything to offer, in terms of skillset [be that softwares, contractual analysis, detailing, wisdom, etc.], a firm.

I think a lot of job finding is finding a right and correct and mutually beneficial relationship. I think it's hard to reach that point where one is completely worthless to all firms.

Take heart, be of good faith, this will not end here.

Nov 12, 10 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

jplourde is right. you're not really unemployable until you stop trying and stop keeping up with what firms will need. it wouldn't make a difference to me if a potential employee hadn't worked in 3 yrs - if they could show that they could still do the work we need to have done.

keeping active in design, even if side projects and self-generated stuff, would show initiative, though.

when i was out of work - working in mall stores mostly - i printed cards for myself (NoStudio) and took any home entertainment center or birdhouse design gig i could rustle. i also did a lot of competitions during that time. kept NoStudio on my resume for a few years! pay for work is legitimate, and i was doing work!

...actually, it was one of the most creative periods of my career to date...

use this time.

Nov 13, 10 6:48 am  · 
 · 
sureel08

not sure if this has been mentioned before or if this is still the case but....

if you collecting unemployment you can also work a part time job and still collect. I believe you can make up to 1/3 of your weekly UE check every week with out having a deduction from your UE check. If you go over that 1/3 amount, the overage is deducted from your claim for that week.

I didnt realize this until late in the game but its not a bad way to keep some structure (as said above), maybe network in other fields, and take some some extra cash every month.

BTW, if resume gaps are a concern for you, think about taking some design related courses (graphic/web/etc) at a local community college. They are dirt cheap usually and for the most part you will be the most talented designer in the room at all times. I took this approach and it paid off with good paying side jobs from Prof's and other adult students.

Nov 13, 10 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Cherith, do you have a portfolio?

Nov 15, 10 11:30 am  · 
 · 
nypencil

nice topic to follow.

Nov 15, 10 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

med.- just emailed it to you.

Nov 15, 10 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Is med. dishing out jobs? I want one too! In fact, I'm gonna go tell all other desperation monkeys to commiserate here. We are all moving to DC. Yeah!

Nov 15, 10 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ that would be awesome, right?

Maybe the comment was meant to be read like "Um, do you have a portfolio made yet because maybe you should get on that and make one. You're not getting a job without that you know?"

OR

"Do you have a portfolio, because I am hoping you do and that you send it to me. You see, I've noticed that you have made several comments on other people's portfolio's on this site, without putting your own up for exhibit, which leads me to believe it's either really amazing or you are a total hack and it's about time someone did some investigation."

OR

Maybe med. is talking about a stock portfolio and is suggesting I cash it in since clearly that is the only income I might see ever.

Nov 15, 10 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

^My speculative powers beats yours. One day your adopted grand-kids will ask you how you met. Archinect, you will each boldly proclaim as you look into each other's cataract filled eyes...

I'm thinking of starting a thread "Architecture, how low will you go? Desperate times and desperate measures".

I wish I could say I feel your pain Cherith, but I'm actually living it, which is way more authentic.

Nov 15, 10 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"I wish I could say I feel your pain Cherith, but I'm actually living it, which is way more authentic."

I don't compute.

Nov 15, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Oh, it's been very, very hard couple of years for me as well....

Nov 15, 10 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Oh, got it. I'm at that point where I literally read every possible meaning I can find out of things and then agonizingly over-analyze them for variances in meaning.

Architecture, how low will you go? Desperate times and desperate measures. I think I could write a book on that.

Nov 15, 10 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: