Archinect
anchor

Video games

metal

it takes so long to make a building, and by the time its done, i feel like it doesn't really matter anymore, as if it isn't worth all the anticipation.

screw making real buildings, lets keep it strictly digital.

video game design.

im thinking of getting into this, for real. anyone else?

Nov 11, 10 8:04 pm
Rusty!

Most big titles in video games have budgets that are in the small architectural project range. Unless you plan on learning how to do computer programming (which no architect has ever been known to be good at) the best you can expect in video game industry is a 3D guy with very little room for growth.

Plus, Revit parametric models make for some crappy video game levels.

Nov 11, 10 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

video (games) killed the architect star.

Nov 11, 10 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

When I go to Whistler, I stay at the mountain house of the guy who runs EAgames...damn nice place

Nov 11, 10 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

The asswipe who runs EAgames better have a damn nice place.

blackoe you should definitively apply to EAgames.

"The current mandatory hours are 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.—seven days a week—with the occasional Saturday evening off for good behavior (at 6:30 p.m.)"

Just when you though architecture sucked....

Nov 11, 10 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
trace™
""Call of Duty: Black Ops" blasted entertainment records this week by raking in $360 million in its first 24 hours on sale"

I think that pretty much settles it. $360 million in 24 hours!!! Jesus!

I know someone that I went to high school with - he started as a tester, they taught him Maya, he then moved onto designing games, compensation including a percentage of the profits.

I do know a few architects that are quite good programmers, so not sure where that comment came from!

Video games = growth industry
Architecture = contracting industry

Nov 12, 10 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

EA's corporate campus is consistenly rated the best campus to work on...

Nov 12, 10 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Mirin

do it! architecture and games are more in common than you think, beyond being just the 3D guy.

i am convinced that game design is social architecture.

i wold also recommend architects to look into the are of "serious games"
this is a new multidisciplinary field that has a wide variety of applications.

Nov 15, 10 5:46 am  · 
 · 
metal

im convinced,
already planning on making the move on the side

Nov 15, 10 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

ftb, any progress w/ this yet? I've been giving some thought to it myself

wondering how tough of a transition it is. Am sure some expensive gaming "school" would take my money, but... nah

starting to think I should learn maya and give up 3ds

Jan 13, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Go rent the movie “Grandma’s Boy” with Allen Covert of a man who spends his whole life as a game tester and see if you like that style of living. It’s like never leaving school and getting high everyday.

Jan 13, 11 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

if you're trained as an architect you'll be hard pressed to keep up with the premier game/concept/environment designers...

anyone working for a decent game studio needs incredible drawing skills and is extremely adept at modeling ... all about constructing with a minimal amount of polygons, etc...

Jan 13, 11 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
metal

@greyvsgray

maya is definitely a go. im doing some stuff on the side, we'll see where it goes..

Jan 13, 11 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

@jk3hl

do you mean "trained" as in, been in the industry for a while? because that's not the case. I've seen how the profession can dinosaurize you pretty fast--kind of depressing coming out of school

@tuna

c'mon
that's like saying the fountainhead is a good primer for architects

Jan 13, 11 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Seiji331

ZBrush is key.

Jan 14, 11 10:54 am  · 
 · 
rethinkit

"Anyway, I applied my Maya skills from working as an environment designer/modeler at Rockstar Games(Red Dead Redemption and MidNight Club) to my architecture classes. then from using Maya in architecture, I learned Revit. After I graduated with an M.Arch, I went to work for SOM in San Francisco. The long mandatory hours(60 > 80),fast pace,high expectations and demanding lead artists, made the transition to architecture a walk in the park. Recently, I just finished work on a Video game studio for IGT games that is now 3 weeks from completion of construction.

Changing careers from Video game environment designer to architecture?

Most people thought I was an idiot esp. in this economy. “You F**ed
up dude”

"You want to be an architect? Why not an astronaut? or President of the United States, I hear there is an opening in 2012."

On the other hand, If you are in architecture, and are very good with Rhino and Maya, then go for it - try out EA or LucasArts, or Rockstar.
Check out the demo reels, then ask yourself if you really have what it takes -

Jan 15, 11 2:31 am  · 
 · 
Darth Spacer

Now that video games are now making major statements on mobile devices, iPods, cell phones. There's is going to be major growth in this industry. I to was looking into this CGI artist or game modeler at Los Angles film school.
What sucks for me is I'm unemployed and I have to pay child support so, it's hard in my case. But if I had the chance I would take it in a heart beat.
I've been thinking of developing apps for iOS devices, but I don't know coding and program writing.

Feb 1, 11 6:10 am  · 
 · 
beekay31

OldFogey, I checked out your buddy's site and landed on his NFL Fever 2002 portfolio. I'm sure he does good work, but I just have to say his Lambeau Field model is WAY the hell off.

Feb 2, 11 3:30 am  · 
 · 
Whitehouse
it takes so long to make a building, and by the time its done, i feel like it doesn't really matter anymore, as if it isn't worth all the anticipation.

screw making real buildings, lets keep it strictly digital.

online game design .

im thinking of getting into this, for real. anyone else?

If you're really interested in this one, go for it. I think it can be very fun. I like video games and games in general, tried already with some help to create an easy one ;)
Mar 24, 11 5:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: