Archinect
anchor

portfolio critique please!

bloong

Hi guys,

I am a m.arch I applicant for the coming up fall program and i wanted to see if you guys would give me some inputs regarding the design and the content of my portfolio.
i am a non-arch background student so it mostly includes some basic models and few drawings i worked on
i plan to add more sketches (the one in the portfolio is a sample sketch i included for me to see how it fits to the portfolio...) and hopefully 1 to 2 more models before i submit my final draft to schools.
here is the link...

http://issuu.com/iamthebj/docs/portfolio_rd2

i am mostly concerned with the design of the portfolio... altho i did want to achieve the simplicity but i am thinking maybe it is too simple layout?

please please feed back would be much appreciated!
thank you in advance!

Nov 10, 10 7:26 pm
zen maker

I like your portfolio, it is very clean and easy to follow, but I would elaborate more on your first project, it seems that all those diagrams / elevations are very cramped together, give them some room to breathe, they look very cool. Good luck!

Nov 10, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
bloong

hey thanks zen!

when you say elaborate, do you mean i just need to simplify the page you mentioned?

Nov 10, 10 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
bloong

oh and if someone could give me an advice on where i should place the drawings, that would be awesome too!

i dont know whether i should put them at the beginning or end... putting them in the middle seem kind of odd...

i know the rule of thumb is to start the portfolio with the best work in the portfolio and end with another really good portfolio piece so the reviewers get good impressions when they start and finish reviewing the portfolio.

so i am not sure what to do...

Nov 10, 10 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
LinkOne

I quite like it - the models are really interesting, and your sketches are impressive – I’d keep them at the back as to me this seems the most logical order. I’d agree with Zen that it would be good to expand a bit more on your first project – perhaps show more of the process and how you reached your conclusions.

On the general format, your work would probably benefit from use of consistent margins and fonts – I’m not sure if the variation is intentional. Also, it may be worth formalising and perhaps tightening up some of the text; in places it seems a little pedestrian (this is a relatively minor point as I’m guessing most reviewers won’t read much of it). Other than that it seems in good shape.

Good luck

Nov 11, 10 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i know for me that i try to load the portfolio with the best projects at the beginning...putting a great project at the end could be a waste since in a lot of cases (especially interviews) you don't get to the end.

the drawings are kind of jarring to me..everything is so clean until you get to the charcoal drawings..at least to me. if you were to keep them in i'd keep them at the end..i often think that drawings seem to be an after thought and are typically the weakest part of any portfolio... especially drawings that aren't really architecture related...but i have a really critical eye when it comes to hand sketches.

Nov 11, 10 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

the pages with the single image and text e.g. pg 8 work really well, followed by a nice balance of process images for most projects. However, the first project that you lead with does not read as strongly or clearly. I would suggest you rework it. The sketches are ok at the back, but they should read as an appendix and not try to fit the same layout as the rest of the portfolio.

Nov 11, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

fear not, your portfolio is already better than many with an architectural background

Nov 11, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
bloong

thank you guys!

i guess the general consensus is i need to expand on my 1st project...

@linkone: yea i should standardize margins... i kind of tried to fit the images evenly within a page so margins arnt as controlled as they should be..

@larslarson: yea putting them at the end seemed logical to me too. thanks

@dot: i tried to make the drawings as large as possible because someone suggested i should so the details of the drawings are shown?? but i do like making the drawings to be read as an appendix more than how i currently set them up.... the reviewers prob wont scrutinize my drawings... prob wont even pay that much attention...

@tagalong: thanks!

and more feed back would be much appreciated!

Nov 11, 10 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

By elaborate, I mean, instead of squeezing like 8 images in to 2 pages, just try to select one of the images and layout on 1 or 2 pages, I think your first project is very strong and one or two of those elevations / diagrams deserve their own page.

Right now its like an open box of pretty candy, and your eyes just keep on jumping around, there is no focus. Don't be afraid to take one elevations and dedicate one full page for it, if it is important for your concept.

Nov 11, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

bloong where do you plan to apply?

Nov 12, 10 3:45 am  · 
 · 
bloong

@zen maker: thanks for the clarification. i'll def work on it

@vyan: um right now i plan to apply to...
Harvard
UCLA
Sci-Arc
CCA
Berkeley (maybe)
Yale or Columbia (maybe)
another "lower tier" school but i have no idea where...
(if someone is willing to suggest me some schools, that would be appreciated too!)

what about you vyan? where do you plan to apply?

Nov 12, 10 5:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: