Archinect
anchor

free resources for steel structure: where to find?

archNRE

I am thinking of taking some free seminars or online course to enhance my understanding in steel structure area.

I searched AISC, could only find this:
http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=2806

Anyone have a good recommendation regarding where to find?

Nov 10, 10 12:43 pm
Distant Unicorn

I'll answer this because I have a similar interest.

There is no real good resources online. You could check several engineering forums to see if anyone posts particular problems and find out what the solutions are.

But from my particular perspective, not much has changed in metal work since it was pretty much invented. There's been a few new systems, connectors and what not since the middle of the 20th century.

Other than that, you can try to find manufacturers of various steel components and see what they have available in their libraries and resource sections on their websites.

You're going to have a real hard time finding detail drawings of connections, brackets and so on. And even if you do find out the details on these things, for the most part they're not really spectacular.

A lot of it is "Determine loading on particular floor section, use giant beams and 8 bolts at plate." There really isn't much of a point in using that because metal structures are often engineered with value in mind and you really need to have the know-how to calculate cost vs. performance.

It is a very different monster than concrete where all you really need to know is "at least 4 inches for floors and anything more than a 18' foot span requires a 2' minimum concrete I-beam."

Nov 10, 10 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
archNRE

Have you find any online resources like youtube.com or DVD? That would be very straight to watch.

Nov 11, 10 8:12 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

4shared

Nov 11, 10 8:23 am  · 
 · 
archNRE

olaf design ninja :

Thanks for the link. Is it useful for your use?

Nov 11, 10 9:34 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i found this a few years back on aisc. it's a good primer.

Designing with Structural Steel

[PDF download]

Nov 11, 10 10:38 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Random thinkers find everything useful

Nov 12, 10 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: