Archinect
anchor

What is the salary now for architect

Reason
http://www.architectmagazine.com/compensation/less--the-new-more.aspx

I just saw this survey and wonder if it is true. I don't feel architect average making $80,000, it seems pretty high to me.
Any idea about architects salary for intern(0-3Y),(3-5Y) and designer/architect (5-8Y) or (8-10Y) and over 10Y and director's salary. I know it varies with location. I am in Seattle area. Thanks!

Nov 9, 10 3:59 pm
mdler

does the architect know how to use the Archinect Salary Poll or not??? It all depends on that

Nov 9, 10 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Geez.which wannabe graphic designer from architectural background designed that graph? It is a pain zooming in and out to read the text and navigating the whole graph!

Nov 9, 10 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

This article is from April. Most of the respondents used for the survey are 50+ years old. Mostly male as well.

It did say that intern salary was around $43K, which seems a bit low, but then I am yet to see a proper definition of the term intern.

Keep in mind all surveys of this type are voluntary in nature and are useful as vague guides. For instance, you will not become a millionaire in this profession. Larger firms tend to pay more. Sole practitioners tend to report small salaries (for tax purposes I think), etc...

0-3Y or 3-5Y types of breakdowns would be pretty useless.

Nov 9, 10 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

paradox, if you click on full screen, then it's not as painful, but it does appear the graphs were made in autocad R12. 8 shades of blue? Really?

Nov 9, 10 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"Our final respondent pool of 1,001 people spans all job titles and experience levels in the profession, although management-level architects and sole practitioners dominate: 77 percent gave their title as principal/partner/owner or president/vice-president/C-title, and the median age was 51.8. (Younger architects should keep this in mind, if the figures here don’t square with their experience.)"

I can say that my salary this year, 3-5 year experience range, is $0 (if you don't include unemployment). Go Architecture!

Nov 9, 10 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I did click on full screen but when you have to read the font you have to zoom in and then zoom out to read the graph.It could have been easier.

Nov 9, 10 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

I think you should pay your employees an adequate living salary comparitive to what they're truly worth, not join all the sleazy bottomfeeders who only offer a "competitive" market bid, taking every opportunity possible to take advantage of their employees and knock average wages down ever, ever lower, all the while their business profit soars. (Seems to be the trend these days.)

Nov 9, 10 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

I think survey needs another small detail "cost of your degree", just to compare how much is your salary and how much you gave away for the next 30 years to pay for your degree...

Nov 9, 10 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ that is a good point zen maker. Right now the return on the investment would be more red than black. New vehicles hold their value better.

Nov 10, 10 12:22 am  · 
 · 

salary numbers are really useless unless you consider location/cost of living (says the guy making a tiny yet comfortable salary in shanghai)

Nov 10, 10 1:35 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Right now, my architecture salary is $0.

My teaching salary is a little more than that.

Nov 10, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

ever met an architect (one who wasn't a high level/principal) who was happy with their pay?

I have NEVER met a fellow architect who was content with what they were paid at the entry-mid level. It just goes to show how bad the culture is #1 and #2 that as a whole, architects either do not know what their true worth is in terms of salaray and/or they're so adamant on staying w/in the field that they suck it up and take a salary of any schmuck w/out a college degree. Not kidding, take a look at some of the jobs out there that require no college education and you'll find that the pay for some of them is right in line with an entry level arch fresh out of school.

Nov 10, 10 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: