Archinect
anchor

How much work can I do by my self with out an Architectural Licence

Hence

Hi,

I am an Intern Architect / Graduate Architect, or what ever the correct title is for someone who is not a summer intern and not yet licensed.   I have received a couple of offers from people I know to produce drawings for projects they want to build; small addition projects.  And I know I can get in a lot of trouble for practicing with out a license and jeopardize ever getting my license, but I could really use the money from the jobs right now.  So can anyone help me figure out what I can do to produce drawings for these friends with out providing "architectural services" that would require a license?

Thank you.

- Mark 

Jun 17, 11 8:23 am
el jeffe

talk to the building department(s) that would issue the permit(s) for the project(s).

anything else is speculation.

Jun 17, 11 9:04 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

what you are able to do or not do depends on your location. 

Jun 17, 11 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Hence

Thanks for the advice.

Jun 17, 11 9:08 am  · 
 · 
trace™

and anything that you need a stamp for you can easily find someone to stamp it for a few bucks (I wouldn't turn down any project because of no license, just follow the advice of those above and know the line).

Jun 17, 11 9:46 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

remember though it isn't just about the license.  i know people with licenses who aren't as experienced as my (unlicensed) self.  be careful what you are doing if you don't have a license.  

Jun 17, 11 9:50 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

make that be careful if you are inexperienced

Jun 17, 11 9:51 am  · 
 · 
dustinunrau

In most places of North America you can design houses (under a certain square footage) and small buildings without an architectural license. Depending on the project you may need an architects' or engineers' stamp in order to get a license though. (which can be done for a fee). Just contact your city and ask them what you are eligible to design and what part of the building code you should look into.

Jun 17, 11 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Hence

Thank you everyone.  I am glad to have found this site.  This is my first time visiting but I can already tell that it is going to be very useful and enjoyable to use.

Jun 17, 11 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

In California, what Trace is referring to is potentially aiding and abetting unlicensed practice. This type of arrangement could be grounds for suspension or revocation of a license, and denial of licensure for those pursuing that path.

Check with your state architects board for guidance on what you are permitted to do without a license. Also check with your board for terminology such as architect, architectural or architecture that you would not be permitted to use until you are licensed.

Jun 17, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Please listen to what urbanity said about what trace said.  Most states are VERY specific about what they call "plan stamping" and the restrictions are very onerous - I looked into this in my own state when an out-of-state architect wanted me to stamp a very cool job for them, but the law is pretty black and white about it in MY state.

As others have said, what the laws are vary by location.  *Most* residential work can be done without a stamp, but only the building department that will issue a permit for the project can give you the final OK on that.

That said, the best way to get experience is to do it - so go forth cautiously, but good luck!

Jun 17, 11 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
metal

hust get your terminology right and call your self a draftsman

Jun 17, 11 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

owners can pull permits on most residential jobs...

to not aide and abet...you make a friend who has a license.  most likely they's a classic architect and can't understand why you get the work and they don't, but whatever they don't mind make a quick $1500 stamping and teaching you something. AIA at the end of your name is the same thing as saying "i push paper for lots of money, but a hammer, never heard of it."

it's a sticky and windy road...just don't make statements an architect would make, always defer to anything that makes someone else liable.

Jun 17, 11 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: