Archinect
anchor

For my fellow IDP whores...

The AIA/NCARB joint program Emerging PRofessional's Companion is up and running - worth checking out to kill off some of that pesky time we've gotta take care of.

www.epcompanion.org

I've given it a quick look over and it looks fairly involved and may prove useful. According to the site you can log a total of 225 learning units.

Nov 11, 04 3:58 pm
Ms Beary

I wonder if this is like the Supplementary Education Handbook? I worked through about 85% of the SEH and am glad I did. I learned a lot and earned some points. It is easier than you think once you get into it. You can do it as group work too.

Nov 12, 04 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Its my understanding that this replaces the Supplementary Education Handbook.

Nov 12, 04 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
grace kim

Pixelwhore is right, it does replace the SEH.
It's free for AIA Associate members, but others have to pay.

It's supposed to be pretty good.

Nov 19, 04 2:49 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

With the SEH, NCARB didn't allow any of the units earned that way to count toward the minimum units for any category - in other words, you could use it to earn some of the "floating" IDP points, but not to get required points in things like Construction Admin, Bidding, or any other hard-to-get categories.

Is this still the case with the new thing?

Nov 19, 04 9:20 am  · 
 · 

The credit goes in the supplementary catergory of IDP, so it looks like its still the same...

Nov 19, 04 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

i've looked through a chunk of the Emerging PRofessional's Companion and it doesn't tell you how to submit this thing for TU's. WTF am I missing? It says 'click here for more information on how to submit for credit' but there is no link and thats the only mention if saw of this.

Bastards.

Is this my only option after I finished the min. (and max. I guess) TU's under a licensed architect?

Dec 9, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

dont you just read it and count it?

Dec 9, 04 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

Ok, I just found this on the AIA site IDP_FAQ

'If the activity was performed on your own, such as completing the questions for a continuing education article from Architectural Record, then you are responsible for submitting the proper forms or a self-report form to the University of Oklahoma with your AIA number.'

so there are no forms to be found, so this means submit a self-report to OU. this is really specific.

Dec 9, 04 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

ok, so I'm reviving this bad boy.

i was working on an exercise in the EPC recently, on a very slow saturday afternoon, and mentioned it to my IDP mentor (who works at the same office as I) the next week: he seems to think that my IDP supervisor, (my boss) must be directly supervising me during the whole process in order to receive IDP credit. this sounds crazy and impractical to me. as though the boss and i would hang out on the weekend/after hours and go over mundane exercises!?

the language on the EPC site & the corresponding AIA "Submit for Credit" page is typically arcane and doesn't explicitly say one way or the other, but I'm almost positive that these exercises are to be done by the intern (unsupervised) then reviewed afterwards by your mentor and supervisor.

does anyone have experience completing these exercises, and what's the deal w/ supervision!?

Aug 7, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

well, i took another look at the AIA's site, and it seems to state that, much to my joy, that IDP supervisor direct supervision during the completion of this stuff is not required: it's supposed to be reviewed w/ your mentor and supervisor after you've completed them. supposedly.

http://www.aia.org/idp_faq#credit

Aug 9, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

I've completed & successfully reported a few. After your mentor reviews the work, you fill out the self-reporting form, which asks a few very generalized questions regarding what you learned doing the exercise. You then have to order a CE transcript from the AIA (at $10 a pop) and include it with IDP Form 123. I plan on squeezing 50 or so per reporting period in order to economize.

I admit that I only started reading the EPC to get those 225 TU's, but was completely suprised when I both learned something useful AND ended up applying it the following week at work. Crazy!

Aug 10, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
piaf

I'm resurrecting this once more...

I am thinking about starting the EPC exercises for IDP credit, and I have looked at some of the chapters. I'm not really sure what exercises you are supposed to do for credit. Each chapter has a sub-chapter called "Exercises," but there are also questions/activites at the end of the other sub-chapters. Do those count for credit too?

They say you can get 15 credits per chapter. I'm wondering how/where to find the credits.

Thanks, if anyone can help.

Dec 22, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
asd

Has anyone tried to register using their ncarb # ?
I haven't been able to to submit my info on the secondary screen...

Dec 22, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I may need to go the epc route for the final few units in dd, cd and ca- all my prospective billable hours for the next year are looking to be planning/schematic design. All that's keeping me from wrapping up IDP is 50 units of CD and 57 units of CA...

If you have an AIA number and password, that will get you into the system. Just wish there was an easier method of downloading the chapters all at once. each section is soooo chopped up, I may get carpel tunnel from downloading them.

so do I focus on studying for the LARE or do I wrap up my IDP???

Dec 22, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You can't use the EPC to fulfill any of the minimum required units in any category. You can only use it for the elective units.

Dec 22, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

*sigh*

got plenty of elective units under the belt- just these few persnickety catagories of stuff that my firm doesn't do much of...

Dec 22, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If your firm does any CA at all then I'd try to get the firm to let you "ride along" on site visits and such just to get the units. That's often a tough category to fill. Make sure that your firm understands that you need those units and try to get them to let you be an "observer" of whatever CA time does happen in the firm, even if you're not the person that the firm is billing for on CA.
You can probably re-categorize some of your schematic design time into DD legitimately. The boundaries between SD and DD are fuzzy and vary greatly from firm to firm. Read the descriptions of the phases in the IDP booklet and see if what you're doing in SD can really fulfill some of the DD units.

Dec 22, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

no ca, no cds, very little dd. we're a 'design' firm only...

Dec 23, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: