Archinect
anchor

Informal Review

sharkswithlasers

Got a question:

Can one architect "informally review" the work of another architect without breaching legal and ethical boundaries? I'm not really clear on this, and the following are examples of situations that for me seem to come up with increasing regularity...

Some hypotheticals:

For example... if, say, my friend were building a new office, could I -- an architect friend -- take an informal look at some other architect's drawings and make "off the record" comments, simply as a friend? (The "Hey, what do you think of these plans?" scenario.)

Or:

Say my kid goes to a school that is building an addition. Could I make comments on the design -- as any interested parent might?

We're probably all in these sorts of situations quite frequently. What would need to be the limits of my commentary in order to remain both legal and ethical? Can I even say things like "Hey, that room is going to be way too small"...etc.?

Oct 26, 10 9:11 pm
Rusty!

It's called "peer review' and it happens frequently. Typically on very complex projects that can always benefit from additional pairs of eyes reviewing the legal documentation.

I've seen clients pay for these services. I've seen architect of record get pissy over having OTHER architects review their work.

Your solicited opinion will probably be of good value. Your unsolicited opinion, not so much.

It all depends who's soliciting, and who's selling their money-parts.

Oct 26, 10 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: